Can't save translated file - InDesign document
Thread poster: Stefan Stefanov

Stefan Stefanov  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 14:54
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Mar 2, 2013

This is my first time translating an InDesign document. I started working in 3.1.3, then halfway through upgraded to 3.1.4.

I completed the translation earlier today. And I found out I can't save the translated file - quite a problem, you see, as my delivery deadline is drawing pretty near, and unless I hear from WF support ASAP, I will have no other option but to try and export my TM, load it into Trados, then make the translation anew...

My source file is XXXXX.idml. The bilingual is, as usual, XXXXX.idml.txml.

When I try to save the translated file, a new XXXXX_BG.idml fiel is created but has a 0 KB size. When I try again (say, a couple of hours later, having rebooted the computer), if the XXXXX_BG.idml file is there, WF asks if I want to overwrite. I choose YES and the file disappears completely!

Meanwhile, there is a separate file in the same folder, created by WF, called XXXXX.idml-_tmp_working_copy, which has a size of 2.2 MB.

I have no idea what to do. I have written to WF support through their hotline, and on Facebook. It's been six hours now and no response. Yes, I do realise it's Saturday but the clock is ticking...

Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fixed (it seems) Mar 2, 2013

OK, I've done some searching and found this topic in Tech Groups on Yahoo: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/WF_PRO/message/8731

So I tried Yasmin's advice. First, TransCheck didn't return any serious problems - two or three capitalization differences and two number format differences (perhaps TransCheck needs to be programmed to "know" that English number format 23,000 is localized with a space between the thousands instead of a comma in Bulgarian and Russian, e.g. 23 000).

No problems with the placeables though.

Anyway, I decided to do a new translation where I didn't expand or shrink any segments, following the second part of the advice. And WF was able to save the translated file normally (well, at least it isn't 0 KB).

All this is strange because the above link discusses an issue in WFP 2.4.4 from September 2011. That's a year and a half ago, and I'm using version 3.1.4.

Should this issue have been addressed by now? Or, at least, WFP needs to show an alert message warning the translator not to do any segment expansion or shrinking if they want to be able to save the translated file.

[Edited at 2013-03-02 23:43 GMT]

Mariana González Castellón
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
How to avoid this problem Mar 7, 2013

Hi Stefan:

I hope this arrives in time to help youicon_smile.gif
This has happened to me too, and it happens not because you expand segments, but because you shrink, close the program/open another project. Let me explain:

If you open an IDML file and expand segments, you will be able to save the translated file and it will save it correctly, not a "0 KB" file. However, if for any reason you close Wordfast or open another project, when you reopen the IDML and try to save, then this problem happens: it exports a 0 KB file. This will also happen if you shrink segments.

I do it all the time. As long as I don't shrink segments, close the program/open another project, I can expand all I want, and the translated file exports just fine. But if I shrink, open another document or close the program , then something gets disturbed and you see this problem coming.

Try it out. Open a new IDML file in Wordfast and do some expansions and then export it. The file will be just fineicon_smile.gif

I hope this helps you and other people facing this problem!

Best regards,
Mariana

[Edited at 2013-03-07 04:32 GMT]

Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No shrinking Mar 7, 2013

Hi Mariana,

Thanks for your tip!

Yes, I remember doing a couple of shrink segment procedures, but I haven't opened or closed any other files. But I guess the first one is enough.

Now I am working on another IDML file, ten times larger and so far I have avoided to do any expanding (no need to shrinking)... I might try.

I also notice that this new TXML file, although twice as large as the previous (7.9 MB vs 3.7 MB) saves much faster. Every time I clicked SAVE with the previous one, Wordfast would show "Not Responding" for at least 7-12 seconds, and sometimes even the taskbar would disappear --- on a quad-core 4 x 3.1 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, 1 GB video PC!

Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem persists - no shrinking Mar 10, 2013

I have been working for a few days now on another, and much larger, InDesign document. I have done some expanding of segments, but I haven't shrunk any, following your advice.

I have carefully transferred all tags to the target.

But now I can't save the translated document again. I tried a couple of days ago, and it saved all right but now it won't...

This means I will have to generate a new TXML file and translate from TM if I want to be able to save it. But it would be nice if I could identify the problem.

[Edited at 2013-03-10 13:53 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't save translated file - InDesign document

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search