Can I merge a new TXML into an older one, for "tracked changes" purposes?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 00:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 4, 2013

G'day everyone

Sometimes when I'm asked to edit a translation in TXML, I prefer to perform the eding in a program other than Wordfast Pro itself, but I want the TXML file that I deliver to the client to have changes tracked. In other words, I want the client to see both my version of the segments and the version of the translator. I do have Wordfast Pro and I can work in it, but sometimes I don't want to do the actual work in that program. The problem is that if I edit the TXML file in another program, the changes are not tracked because my edits are done directly on the currently present target text, and therefore to the client it would appear (if he opens my TXML file) as if I have done no editing and that the text that I had edited was in fact translated like that by the translator.

A method that I once tried was to export the TXML to RTF using the "bilingual review" feature, and then importing the reviews, but if I do that, then my edits are not marked in the final TXML file as my edits (they are marked as the original translator's edits, for some really, really odd odd odd reason).

Another thing that I think I can try is to first do Ctrl+Alt+Insert on the translated TXML file and then save it, so that the source-target copied segments have my user ID on it in the tracked changes, and then retranslate that TXML file using a TM that I create after I edited a copy of the original TXML file. This should work (I haven't tried it) as long as all non-unique segment should have the same translation (in my case, mostly that is so). I suspect I must just make sure that I do the re-translation in a program other than Wordfast Pro (not a problem for me), otherwise the fact that I had done the source-target copy thing would appear in the tracked changes.

But what would be really nice is if I could simply merge my edited TXML file into the original TXML file in such a way that the edits are tracked. Is there such a function in Wordfast Pro?

Thanks
Samuel

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:45
Finnish to French
ChangeTracker Mar 4, 2013

Have you tried ChangeTracker:

http://change-tracker.com/

It supports the TXML format (and several other bilingual file formats) and I think it could do what you want.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique Mar 4, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
Have you tried ChangeTracker? It supports the TXML format (and several other bilingual file formats) and I think it could do what you want.

I have used ChangeTracker (it misses some segments for some reason, but it is generally extremely useful). However, ChangeTracker only creates reports (e.g. in HTML), as far as I know. It does not edit the TXML file itself, nor would it be able to merge changes from one source "back" into a TXML file, and even if it could, I rather doubt if it would be able to create revision tag sets in the TXML file.

Perhaps I did not explain myself correctly: I don't want to tell my client "Oh, just download and install ChangeTracker". I want to give my client a TXML file that conforms to what the TXML file would have looked like if I had done the edits in Wordfast Pro.

Volodymyr Kukharenko
Ukraine
Local time: 01:45
Member (2009)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
More details on missing segments, if possible. Mar 6, 2013

[quote]Samuel Murray wrote:

Dominique Pivard wrote:

I have used ChangeTracker (it misses some segments for some reason, but it is generally extremely useful). However, ChangeTracker only creates reports (e.g. in HTML), as far as I know. It does not edit the TXML file itself, nor would it be able to merge changes from one source "back" into a TXML file, and even if it could, I rather doubt if it would be able to create revision tag sets in the TXML file.

Hi Samuel,

The reports are created in Excel-compatible .xml files, not html.

Is it possible to provide us with more detailed feedback about missing segments in reports via http://www.change-tracker.com/contacts ? We'd like to investigate this problem.

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Excel, not HTML, yes Mar 6, 2013

Vladimir Kukharenko wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
I have used ChangeTracker (it misses some segments for some reason, but it is generally extremely useful).

Is it possible to provide us with more detailed feedback about missing segments...? We'd like to investigate this problem.

I'll try to see what might cause it.

ChangeTracker only creates reports (e.g. in HTML), as far as I know. It does not edit the TXML file itself...

The reports are created in Excel-compatible .xml files, not html.

Aah, yes, you're right. They open in Excel, and then I copy them to MS Word.

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:45
Can I merge a new TXML into an older one, for "tracked changes" purposes? Mar 6, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

But what would be really nice is if I could simply merge my edited TXML file into the original TXML file in such a way that the edits are tracked. Is there such a function in Wordfast Pro?

Thanks
Samuel

Hi Samuel,

Thank you for this feedback. I will relay this feature request to our development team for implementation in a future version and I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your continued support,

Kristyna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I merge a new TXML into an older one, for "tracked changes" purposes?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search