Perry Svensson  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 18:28
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Mar 6, 2013

Hi,

I’m about to purchase Wordfast Pro because one of my clients uses it. However, with Trados / SDL Trados Studio in mind, where many agencies still continue to use Trados (which was a problem at least for me until Studio 2011 came out, but isn’t not any longer), I am wondering if the same compatibility issues exist between WF Classic and WF Pro. If I make the investment in WF, I would like to be able to work with clients that use either Classic or Pro.

So: are the
... See more
Hi,

I’m about to purchase Wordfast Pro because one of my clients uses it. However, with Trados / SDL Trados Studio in mind, where many agencies still continue to use Trados (which was a problem at least for me until Studio 2011 came out, but isn’t not any longer), I am wondering if the same compatibility issues exist between WF Classic and WF Pro. If I make the investment in WF, I would like to be able to work with clients that use either Classic or Pro.

So: are there any problems working with WFC segmented bilingual files in WFP and then delivering them in unclean WFC format?

The reason I’m asking is of course that WFC and WFP are 400 euros each separately, but 500 euros if you buy them together as WordFast Studio. I don’t want to buy Pro and only later realize that I also need Classic, but if there are no incompatibility problems, I’d of course like to save the extra 100 euros for the double package and just get WF Pro.

Perry
Swedish translations from English and Chinese
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:28
Finnish to French
Wordfast Pro 3.2 Mar 6, 2013

The next version of Wordfast Pro (3.2, currently in beta) will let you save any document translated in Wordfast Pro in the "unclean" Word format used by Wordfast Classic and Trados Workbench:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2013/01/30/save-txml-as-unclean-word-document-with-new-wordfast-pro-3-2/

This al
... See more
The next version of Wordfast Pro (3.2, currently in beta) will let you save any document translated in Wordfast Pro in the "unclean" Word format used by Wordfast Classic and Trados Workbench:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2013/01/30/save-txml-as-unclean-word-document-with-new-wordfast-pro-3-2/

This also applies to non-Word formats such as PowerPoint (PPT/PPTX), Excel (XLS/XLSX), InDesign (INX/IDML) etc.

This will typically allow a client (agency) using Wordfast Classic or Trados Workbench to update their TM's with your translation.

In the case of Word documents, this will not let them produce the final, translated version of the Word document. While it's possible in principle to translate a Word document segmented with Wordfast Classic or Trados Workbench in Wordfast Pro, I would not recommend it.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:28
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No compatability of content files Mar 6, 2013

tbv wrote:
Are there any problems working with WFC segmented bilingual files in WFP and then delivering them in unclean WFC format?

It is not possible to convert a file that you translated in WFP into the format used by WFC (unless you're happy with lost formatting and lost layout). It is also (for all practical purposes) not possible to convert a file that you translated in WFC into the format used by WFP.

A bilingual file that was created by WFP can be edited in WFC if you're a sworn member of the Crazy CAT Tool Roundtrip Club. I've never tried editing a bilingual file that was created by WFC in WFP, but I'm sure members of the aforementioned club will go out of their way to try.

So, for normal blokes, no... the content files created and used by WFC and WFP are mutually hopelessly incompatible. If you anticipate clients who use both tools, you need to buy both tools.

[Edited at 2013-03-06 08:45 GMT]

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Wordfast Pro 3.2 beta Mar 6, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:

The next version of Wordfast Pro (3.2, currently in beta) ...

Where can one download and try this Wordfast Pro 3.2 beta from?
The official site offers only Wordfast_Pro_3.1.4.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
WFP beta program Mar 6, 2013

Andrey Yasharov wrote:
Where can one download and try this Wordfast Pro 3.2 beta from?

I'm not sure how the WFP beta program works exactly. You need to be a subscriber to the dedicated mailing list, after which you will see announcements about new builds and where to download them from. I believe you should contact Kristyna Marrero, who is the one who decides who joins the beta program.

Perry Svensson
Perry Svensson  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 18:28
Member (2003)
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the info Mar 7, 2013

Thanks Samuel, that's what I thought. I'll just get both. Rather 500 euro now, than 400 now and another 400 later because I find another client who uses the other version. And thanks for the info on WFP 3.2, Dominique. It might be a step toward compatibility, but I don't know when it will be out, and I need to get it now.

Perry

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast Classic vs WordFast Pro

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »