Creating a single TMX from multiple documents in Wordfast Anywhere
Thread poster: Anna Moorby DipTrans

Anna Moorby DipTrans  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 7, 2013

I usually work on single documents and create a TMX which I send to the client with the document. However, recently I had a zip file with 23 separate files for translation. I created a TMX for each of them, but the client was demanding a single TM for the whole project.
Any ideas how I could have done this? They have settled for the separate files in the end but they got a bit uppity about it!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Okapi Olifant Mar 7, 2013

Anna Moorby DipTrans wrote:
I created a TMX for each of them, but the client was demanding a single TM for the whole project.

I'm not sure if you can do it within WFA, but if not, you can use Okapi Olifant to merge TMs.

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Xbench Mar 7, 2013

I imported TMXs into Xbench and exported as one TMX:

http://www.condak.net/cat_other/omegat/2013-03-06/cs/05.html

Milan

Anna Moorby DipTrans wrote:
I created a TMX for each of them, but the client was demanding a single TM for the whole project.

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Alternative option Mar 7, 2013

If you use xbench, you will probably lose metadata (such as the creation ID, which indicates the name of the person who did the translation). I wouldn't recommend it for this purpose.
I imagine that Olifant will do a decent job of merging the TMX files, as will most CAT tools, WF Anywhere included (create a new TM, import every TMX, export as TMX). If you find yourself with separate TMX files that need to be merged, you can get this done in under a minute in a text editor. I have a couple of CAT tools but I myself would use this manual method for speed & convenience.
Just open the first TMX, jump to the bottom, and before the </body> tag, insert everything from the second file between <body> and </body>. Rinse and repeat with the remaining files, then save under a different name. If the files are from the same source, this is safe to do.

[Edited at 2013-03-07 15:29 GMT]

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
The lose of metadata Mar 7, 2013

You are right.

Milan

FarkasAndras wrote:

If you use xbench, you will probably lose metadata (such as the creation ID, which indicates the name of the person who did the translation). I wouldn't recommend it for this purpose.

Anna Moorby DipTrans  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 7, 2013

Thanks everyone, will try the import-export option in WF Anywhere suggested by FarkasAndras and see where that takes me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a single TMX from multiple documents in Wordfast Anywhere

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search