Can WFP update an existing TXML from a new TM?
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 20:25
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Mar 8, 2013

G'day everyone

I have a translated TXML file, and I have a TM that contains 100% matches for some of the segments in the TXML file. I want to update the TMXL file with the translations from that TM. In other words, if a segment has a 100% match in the TM, then I want the segment's current target text replaced with the target text from the TM.

Can this be done in WFP?

Thanks
Samuel

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
Finnish to French
I don't think so Mar 9, 2013

Yasmin will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this can be done, at least not directly. The general idea is to use a translated TXML to update a TM, not a TM to update an already translated TXML.

What you could do, however, is clean your TXML against a new TM (TM1), then empty the target column and retranslate it with TM2 (the TM that you say may contain 100% matches) and TM1. WFP lets you specify the order in which multiple TM's are used, so you'd want TM2 to take precedence over TM1. This way, you should get 100% matches from TM2, and the rest (= what you had already translated) should come back from TM1.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Separate translators and editor Mar 9, 2013

Dominique Pivard wrote:
The general idea is to use a translated TXML to update a TM, not a TM to update an already translated TXML.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to work around WFP's buggy support for having translators and editors as *separate* humans. I'm trying to find ways to make the change tracking in WFP work as one would expect it to work, see. This is why I had hoped that it would be possible to update a translated TXML file with edits from a TM... because if that were possible, the updated cells would likely have showed up as tracked edits.

Right now the only really successful method I've been able to find to add an editor's edits to a translated TXML file so that the changes are correctly tracked, is to have a script that examines each segment within WFP and pastes the updated translation if it is different from the existing one, but that is a cumbersome solution, and I prefer something simpler, because I do a lot of these jobs.

nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
What happens if you read the new TM with Notepad? Mar 9, 2013

Are the updated segments recognizable as such? They should be at the bottom of the file, with the date on which they have been updated. If so, then there are two possibilities:
1) copy these newest segments into TM1 but be sure that they have a more recent date. Normally, when there is a choice between two 100% matches, WF takes the newest. (check this, though)
2) just keep these newest segments, erase all the others and save as TM3. Then retranslate the TMXL in the way Dominique describes (blank right column), with the highest priority to TM3 and second priority to TM1. Clean up into TM1.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: empty post

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
Finnish to French
TMX vs. TXML Mar 10, 2013

Meta Arkadia wrote:
Open a new project with the old TMX file as the file to be translated (in other words, run CT, and in the Project Manager, choose "Edit TMX Memory").

Are you mixing up TXML (format of bilingual documents in Wordfast Pro) and TMX (industry standard for translation memories)? AFAIK, CafeTran doesn't support the TXML format at all. Several other tools (eg. memoQ, Swordfish and - soon, via a plugin - Studio) support it. Samuel's intended workflow revolves around TXML, not TMX.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: The thread is about WFP, not Cafetran

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can WFP update an existing TXML from a new TM?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search