suongmai  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 00:53
Member (2013)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Mar 9, 2013

Hello there,

I am very new with word fast and i want to import all old projects into wordfast, but i wonder if there's any function to do that?
All my old projects are really big, like 200,000 words each (in one file each project ) and all were translated. Is that i have to manually translate them again to import them to WF? With big files like those, i should divide them into smaller files or can keep them that big? (around 200 pages)

Thank you all !

Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:53
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
Importing work to Wf Mar 9, 2013

Hello suongmai,

Have you got any TM of your previous translations? If yes, what format are they of?
If not, you should start by aligning your source and target texts (search fora for the align tools).

Anyway, good luck!

Marcelina

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
Finnish to French
A few aligners Mar 9, 2013

Marcelina Haftka wrote:
If not, you should start by aligning your source and target texts (search fora for the align tools).

Here are few possible aligners:

http://www.proz.com/post/2088373

Wordfast Anywhere -> see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y53DS5xWqQg
LF-Aligner -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/

Vietnam
Member (2013)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Alignment does not work on Mac Mar 13, 2013

Thank you all for answering my questions,

I have been looking and installing and trying those alignment softwares but i do not know why they all didn't work on my Macicon_frown.gif
I have been thinking about investing money for a good PC since ALL the softwares i need and know about for translators are limited on MacIntosh.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:53
Finnish to French
Details? Mar 13, 2013

suongmai wrote:
I have been looking and installing and trying those alignment softwares but i do not know why they all didn't work on my Macicon_frown.gif

Can you be more specific: what didn't work? I have no personal experience with LF-Aligner, all I know is there is a Mac version of it. However, Wordfast Anywhere and Youalign.com are both browser-based solutions: as such, they should work on any Mac, as long as you have a connection to the Internet. If you have no luck with Safari, try a better browser, eg. Chrome.

Vietnam
Member (2013)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
did not try those Mar 13, 2013

Thank you dominique,

I did not try those browser-based solutions, but i tried one or two that did not support my languages pair, and one kept saying that they could not find my files, and so after trying the whole weekend, i gave it up.

I'll try with youalign now and let you know.

Thank again

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
LF Aligner on mac with Vietnamese Mar 13, 2013

LF Aligner does have a mac version as Dominique said. I never used it as I don't have a mac but mac users have reported that it works fine. There's no graphical user interface on mac, though.

If LF Aligner was not finding your files, it's probably because of wonky file/folder names. Use file paths and file names that only contain a-z _+- (no Vietnamese characters).

Vietnamese is supported in principle. There should be no problem with character corruption (LF Aligner supports all UTF-8 scripts/characters).
The internet tells me that Vietnamese uses the same sentence markers as European languages (!?.), so sentence segmentation will hopefully work correctly. If sentences are not segmented correctly, it's because of capitalization detection, which I can fix if needed.

If you're not comfortable with command line interfaces, try the browser-based options recommended above. If they don't work for you, try LF Aligner and write here or to lfaligner (gmail) if you need help with improved Vietnamese support.

[Edited at 2013-03-13 12:57 GMT]

Vietnam
Member (2013)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will try again LF Aligner Mar 13, 2013

FarkasAndras wrote:
Vietnamese is supported in principle. There should be no problem with character corruption (LF Aligner supports all UTF-8 scripts/characters).
The internet tells me that Vietnamese uses the same sentence markers as European languages (!?.), so sentence segmentation will hopefully work correctly. If sentences are not segmented correctly, it's because of capitalization detection, which I can fix if needed.

If you're not comfortable with command line interfaces, try the browser-based options recommended above. If they don't work for you, try LF Aligner and write here or to lfaligner (gmail) if you need help with improved Vietnamese support.

[Edited at 2013-03-13 12:57 GMT]

I tried with LF Aligner the whole weekend, but it kept saying invalid files or could not find files, and all my files' names are not with vietnamese characters.

I tried the browser based option and it did not work very well, there are lots of segments could not be found in the TXM. And also my work are mostly more than 20mb so i can not use the browser based option.

I do not have any problem with the line interfaces, just hope it works for me. Anyway, I will try with Aligner again and let you know, thank you very much !

FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
path as well Mar 13, 2013

suongmai wrote:

I tried with LF Aligner the whole weekend, but it kept saying invalid files or could not find files, and all my files' names are not with vietnamese characters.

As noted above, it's not just the file name. Make sure there are no vietnamese characters (no characters other than a-z, 0-9 and _ to be extra safe) anywhere in the file path.
I.e. paths like quốc_ngữ/foldername/subfoldername/file.doc are not ok.

This is a bit of a trial and error thing because I have no way of knowing what characters are supported on which platform. On linux, Vietnamese characters would probably not be a problem. On windows, they are not accepted (unless you pass the filenames as command line arguments). Apparently, they cause problems on mac as well. Then there are symbols like hyphens (not a problem, but em-dashes are) apostrophes (not accepted), question marks and so on.

[Edited at 2013-03-13 21:15 GMT]

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
A short test LF Aligner on Windows Vista Mar 14, 2013

suongmai wrote:

I took Vietnamese text from Proz.com forum, saved as UTF-8 text, translated by Google into Czech; I created TMX and sent to suongmai yesterday.

But, I am on Windows.

Suongmai, do you have vietnamese text in right encoding? I hope, you have.

Attention: Convert TMX (UTF-8) into Wordfast TM (Unicode 16) with WF2TMX, or resave TMX from LF Aligner into Unicode, Wordfast shall selected TMX convert into TM.

Milan

Vietnam
Member (2013)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
path was good Mar 14, 2013

Thanks milan, I got the file.
My mac have vietnamese text.

I haven't tried again today but i will soon and let you know. And i just found a PC in the house, i will check if it works, if yes, it will solves lots of problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import old works on WF - new user

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search