Is there a way for WFP to recognize HTML tags?
Thread poster: JAMTranslations

JAMTranslations
United States
Local time: 09:45
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Mar 14, 2013

Hi -

I'm currently working with an Excel file containing text that contains HTML codes, which must be maintained and are proving very messy to work with - for example as there is often no space between the codes and words, words from my terminology lists are not being recognized. This same issue prevents me from usefully adding the codes themselves to terminology for quick transfer to the target text.

This is a longstanding client who now wants to send all texts in this specific format.

Is there a setting or simple process in Wordfast for this? Or some other solution? I'm not used to working with HTML directly so this is new for me.

I'm on WFP 3.1.3 for Mac OS 10.7.5

Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:45
Finnish to French
Blog post + Wiki article Mar 15, 2013

See if the following links help:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/06/24/html-tags-in-excel-with-wordfast-pro/

http://wordfast.net/wiki/HTML_Tags_in_Excel_as_Placeables

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
HTML Tags in Excel as Placeables Mar 15, 2013

Dear Joy,

I have described the method of converting HTML tags in Excel files to WF Pro placeables. Could you please check this:
http://www.wordfast.net/wiki/HTML_Tags_in_Excel_as_Placeables

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact Wordfast Hotline. To open a new hotline ticket, please log-in at wordfast.net with your login email and password mentioned on your invoice. Click on 'Contact the Hotline' and submit your ticket.

Kind regards,
Yasmin Moslem

JAMTranslations
United States
Local time: 09:45
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you - and refer to Regular Expressions wiki article? Mar 15, 2013

Thank you Dominique and Yasmin! This is very helpful.

The video refers to a wiki by Yasmin on Regular Expressions generally, but I can't seem to locate it with a key word search. A link to this (and any detailed info on regular expressions, which its clearly time for me to learn about) would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
General Tag Mar 15, 2013

Dear Joy,

Please refer to the part saying: "for any tag you can just enter:..."

For this specific task, no need to learn much (or any). Just copy and paste!

HTH,
Yasmin

Liny  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
English to French
+ ...
Other document format Apr 10, 2013

And can it only work with Excel? I have quite a few Word documents where I'd like to mark the HTML tags as placeables.
But is there a way of doing the same thing without having to convert manually all of my Word documents into Excel documents? (which may be quite consuming)

(WFP 3.1.4)
Regards
Liny

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:45
Member (2006)
French to English
Save as txt, change to htm and open with WFP Apr 11, 2013

Liny wrote:

And can it only work with Excel? I have quite a few Word documents where I'd like to mark the HTML tags as placeables.
But is there a way of doing the same thing without having to convert manually all of my Word documents into Excel documents? (which may be quite consuming)

(WFP 3.1.4)
Regards
Liny

Dear Liny,

You could save your file as a simple text file (UTF-8), then change its extension from .txt to .htm or .html. Open with Wordfast and it will interpret formatting codes as tags.

Hope this works,

John Di Rico
Wordfast Trainer
www.wordfast.fr

PS - if the file also contains MS-Word formatting like words in bold or italics, don't do this.

Liny  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:45
English to French
+ ...
Dear John Apr 19, 2013

sorry for not replying earlier but thx a lot for your answer.

Liny

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way for WFP to recognize HTML tags?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search