doctor_suz
doctor_suz  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:55
German to English
+ ...
Mar 16, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I received a beautifully complete 5-file Trados TM, but it is tmw format. I use Wordfast Classic 5.92 and Wordfast Pro 2.4.1 and would be able to live with either Trados tmx or txt format, but tmv throws me for a loop; could somebody please tell me how to convert this?

TIA and happy weekend, Susanne

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:55
Finnish to French
Trados Workbench needed Mar 16, 2013

You are using outdated versions of both Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro, but even if they were up to date, you still wouldn't be able to do anything with a TMW memory. TMW (+ the four auxiliary files that accompany it) is the native, proprietary format for Trados Workbench TM's. You must have access to Trados Workbench in order to convert them to TXT or TMX (preferred). If you don't, you should ask your client to do it for you, or a colleague who has a Trados Workbench license. Please note tha... See more
You are using outdated versions of both Wordfast Classic and Wordfast Pro, but even if they were up to date, you still wouldn't be able to do anything with a TMW memory. TMW (+ the four auxiliary files that accompany it) is the native, proprietary format for Trados Workbench TM's. You must have access to Trados Workbench in order to convert them to TXT or TMX (preferred). If you don't, you should ask your client to do it for you, or a colleague who has a Trados Workbench license. Please note that if a colleague of yours is using the Freelance edition of Trados, he/she must have installed the languages that your TMW includes (Trados Freelance only supports five languages, which have to be selected at install time).Collapse

Artem Vakhitov
Artem Vakhitov  Identity Verified
Kyrgyzstan
English to Russian
+ ...
Ask the customer to do it Mar 16, 2013

In theory, I would be able to help you with this, but this may well be not OK confidentiality-wise. You'd better ask your customer to do the conversion or at least get an expicit approval from him or her to do it with third-party help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help converting Trados tmw TM to txt or tmх

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »