suongmai  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 00:59
Member (2013)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Mar 27, 2013

Hi there,

I need to translate a 170 page document (28mb) and I can't open it with WFP. I heard that WFP supports this format?
So i tried on wf anywhere, but i could not because of limitation.

Anybody has any solution for this issue?
Should I buy Adobe ExportPDF

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:59
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Editable PDF Mar 27, 2013

Wordfast does support PDF. The problem is that not all PDF files are created equal. Some PDF files are editable and some PDF are simply images (think of them like photocopies) of a document.

Wordfast can only open editable PDF files.

The easiest way to find out if your PDF is editable is to try and select some text ( one word or a few words) in it, if you can select it then it is an editable PDF, if you can't select it (which will probably be the case with your file) then it is not an editable PDF and you can't use Wordfast.

If it is not editable then you only have two options, use the pages as you would a photocopy and simply recreate the file using a word editor or use OCR software to read the file.

OCR programs are far from perfect and depending on how much formatting, tables, images, etc., the file has this can be a lengthy process (in your case with a 170 page document it could be an extremely lengthy process).

Vietnam
Member (2013)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
editable but i can't open it Mar 27, 2013

Thanks for you answer.

My pdf file is editable, i can select sentences there. but i do not know why when i tried to open file from WFP, the file isn't visible to select. Only .doc or .rft can be selected.

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:59
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
WFP converts PDF to .rft Mar 27, 2013

When you use Wordfast to work on a PDF file what Wordfast does is convert the file to rft and you actually work on an rft file and when you finish and save the translated file you also end up with an rft file.

You can either deliver as rft to your client or print as pdf and deliver as pdf

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:59
Finnish to French
PDF Split and Merge Mar 29, 2013

suongmai wrote:
I need to translate a 170 page document (28mb) and I can't open it with WFP. I heard that WFP supports this format?
So i tried on wf anywhere, but i could not because of limitation.

Regarding the size limitation in Wordfast Anywhere, you could use the free PDF Split and Merge:

http://www.pdfsam.org/

Try it with just a few pages, and if Wordfast Anywhere is able to convert them to RTF, you can process the entire batch.

Vietnam
Member (2013)
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 30, 2013

A friend of mine already helped to convert the file perfectly, so it's not a worry for me for now, but it's great to know this !!! thank you very much !

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open PDF file with WFP 3.1.3

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search