https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/248011-how_to_copy_from_a_wordfast_translation_document.html

How to copy from a wordfast translation document
Thread poster: lstntrnsln
lstntrnsln
lstntrnsln
Spain
Local time: 00:35
English to Russian
+ ...
Apr 29, 2013

When I try to copy text from a segment which was translated already, it does not seem to work, I guess it's related to the fact that the text in a source segment is somehow "hidden" after its been segmented?

Does anybody have similar issues? Can this be handled?

rpr
rpr  Identity Verified
Denmark
German to Danish
+ ...
No problem here ... Apr 30, 2013

there is absolute NO problem copying text from af Word-document - at least as long as we talking Wordfast Classic?

Could you try to be more specific ?

Regards, Rolf

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Alt +ins Apr 30, 2013

I suppose you're talking about WF Classic and a Word file. You can copy the source segment into the target segment by using Alt +Ins.
You can also close WF with Alt+End, then skip some sentences, and then re-use Alt+Dwn.

Please read the manual before you begin. The basic functions can be mastered in about two hours.

lstntrnsln
lstntrnsln
Spain
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copying text outside of Word from earlier translated source segments May 1, 2013

I'm sorry I have not explained the situation well. However, I did read all the manuals and have not found any mentioning of the matter at hand. Let me try again:

I'm in a middle of translating a Word document with WF Classic. I have an open source segment and half-way through typing a target segment. I should note that in "Normal" view in Word as suggested by WF Classic message window, I am able to see the delimiters and all previously translated source and target segments.
... See more
I'm sorry I have not explained the situation well. However, I did read all the manuals and have not found any mentioning of the matter at hand. Let me try again:

I'm in a middle of translating a Word document with WF Classic. I have an open source segment and half-way through typing a target segment. I should note that in "Normal" view in Word as suggested by WF Classic message window, I am able to see the delimiters and all previously translated source and target segments.

Now all of a sudden I have this urge to copy a part of one of earlier translated source segments. I select it with a mouse and press Ctrl+C (or from context menu, or using buttons on the home tab of the menus). The computer allows me to copy that selection into the currently open target segment, but not into the windows clipboard (any other running application) or not even a new word document. From any previous target segment - yes, we can. From any previous source segment - no can do.

If I close the current segment - same thing.

Thus, I was wondering why that is and who's to blame, but more importantly - what to do?

Thank you all for feedback.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do this May 1, 2013

lstntrnsln wrote:
When I try to copy text from a segment which was translated already, it does not seem to work, I guess it's related to the fact that the text in a source segment is somehow "hidden" after its been segmented?

If you mean Wordfast Classic and if you mean that you're trying to copy from the source text of a non-active segment, then yes: it is "hidden" text and it may not appear visible in the place where you paste it. I sometimes see this with finished documents done by other translators who copied stuff like that into the current segment, not realising that the piece of copied text will be "invisible" in the final document.

Your options are:

1. Select the text you want to copy, then press Shift+Ctrl+Z (it removes all formatting, including the "hidden" attribute), then press Ctrl+C (it means "copy"), then press Ctrl+Z (it means "undo"). The selected text will have the same formatting as it originally had, but the unformatted text will be on the clipboard, which means that when you "paste" it, it will either take on the formatting of the text in which you paste it, or it will be pasted as unformatted text and you'll have to format it.

2. Close the current segment by pressing Alt+Delete. Then go to the other segment and open it by pressing Alt+down. In the active segment, the source text is NOT hidden, so if you copy it, it will be copied with all its formatting intact, but not hidden. Atter you've selected and copied the text, press Alt+Delete again to close that segment, go back down to the segment where you want to paste, and open it using Alt+down, and then paste. This may not always work, depending on how your Wordfast installation deals with the clipboard, but it works for me, mostly.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
When you say "copy", do you mean "paste"? May 1, 2013

lstntrnsln wrote:
The computer allows me to copy that selection into the currently open target segment, but not into the windows clipboard (any other running application) or not even a new word document.

Yes, it is because the source text of the currently active segment is not marked as "hidden", but all other segments' source text is marked as hidden, and MS Word copies the text with all of its current formatting. If you then paste that somewhere else, into a program that is not "aware" of the formatting, it will be pasted as nothing. If you do this regularly, create a shortcut in MS Word that sets selected text as "not hidden", so that you can unhide the text before you copy it.

I must add that in my case, if I paste such hidden text into a new, blank MS Word file, the hidden text is certainly pasted... but if your MS Word is set up to hide hidden text in a new, blank MS Word file, then of course you won't see the hidden text.

By the way, Wordfast will happily process files in which none of the text is "hidden", but there is no way to tell Wordfast not to hide text that it is done with. So you can theoretically select the entire file and mark it as "not hidden", and then only the segments that you translate after that will have hidden source text, and this will not affect Wordfast's ability to clean the entire file.

lstntrnsln
lstntrnsln
Spain
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you May 1, 2013

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to copy from a wordfast translation document

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »