Machine translate just short segments
Thread poster: Miriam Hurley

Miriam Hurley  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:03
Italian to English
May 9, 2013

Hello all, For most texts, machine translation isn't helpful, but I'd love to be able to apply it at will or specify just short segments (for example, dates, lists of colors). Am I missing something or do I have to go into Preferences, etc. each time I want to turn it on or off?

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:03
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use GT4T May 9, 2013

With WF you do have to turn it on/off each time as there is no option to invoke MT on demand.

I would suggest using GT4T it is very reasonably priced (as they take care of paying the MT provider, e.g. Google) and you can choose exactly when to use MT and with what text, whole segments, parts of segments, single words, etc.

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Use the menu option to toggle MT May 9, 2013

There's a MT on/off button in the WFC menu.

Cheers,
Gerard

United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 9, 2013

I should have specified I'm on Wordfast Pro. There is a button on the toolbar, but it is only available when I have Google translate enabled and then it automatically machine translates when there is no match. Is there a way to have the default option be to not translate and then use a short-cut key or menu for those segments that I want it?

I'm on Mac, for which GT4T is not available.

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Services May 9, 2013

Miriam Hurley wrote:
I'm on Mac

Good for you. The following solution is not integrated in your CAT tool, but it should work, and it should also work for MS Translator and MyMemory, and all sites in which you can search, like IATE, Wikipedia, you name it, including ProZ' KudoZ:

- Use Fluid to turn a website into an app
- Use Automator Services to create a service for the new app
- In  | System Preferences | Keyboard | Keyboard Shortcuts | Services, assign a shortcut to your new app.

That's it. When you want to search for a word or a phrase, just select it, and hit the KBS you assigned to the app.
And it's free, what's more, you don't have to pay the thieves of Mountain View anymore.

Cheers,

Hans

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Took the words... May 9, 2013

Alex Lago wrote:

With WF you do have to turn it on/off each time as there is no option to invoke MT on demand.

I would suggest using GT4T it is very reasonably priced (as they take care of paying the MT provider, e.g. Google) and you can choose exactly when to use MT and with what text, whole segments, parts of segments, single words, etc.

I was just about to post the same thing. I never use the built-in MT function of WF, but I do use GT4T exactly the way Alex says. You simply highlight the text to translate and hit Ctrl+J.

Caveat: It's not a panacea and often gets things hilariously wrong, but on the plus side it can help out with certain text types.
I also find it much better and user-friendly than Systran, which - like so many other initially OK programs - when "improved" or upgraded with too many bells and whistles, became horribly fiddly and awkward to use.

PS: I just noticed you're a Mac user. Sorry, I can't help you out there, other than suggesting you change to a PC for translation purposes and keep the Apple for what it's best at.

[Edited at 2013-05-09 19:41 GMT]

I don't wish to start a Mac versus PC war of words here, but it is a well-known fact that many softwares used in translation are not available for Macs. Like it or not, despite all its notorious drawbacks Microsoft Office and other PC software is/are still the industry standard, warts and all.
It also depends which country you're in - most of the French translators I know use Macs and it has caused me some problem with compatibility issues in the past. My remark about buying a PC for translation was not facetious - I actually bought a spare laptop myself for a mac-user colleague so that she could work smoothly with me when we collaborate on projects.

[Edited at 2013-05-10 07:17 GMT]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The shorter, the more challenging May 9, 2013

Seeing professional translators happily embrace GT4T in their work gives me the shivers.

OK. Having taken that off my chest, I have to say that while shorter translations seem all too easy to translate and potentially a good target for machine translation... they are in fact the translations that require a lot of attention if you want a specific language.

Unfortunately the web is so full of volunteer, poor, and amateur translation already, added to increasing amounts of poorly edited (or non-edited) machine translation, that the use of GT4T puts professional translators at a big risk of contributing to the garbage. Just beware, please!

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
Lingoes May 9, 2013

Dear Miriam,

You can give Lingoes a try. It has an option that sends selected text to be machine translated using the service of your choice: http://www.lingoes.net/

HTH,
Yasmin

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 01:03
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Everything you can do, we... May 9, 2013

Yasmin Moslem wrote:
You can give Lingoes a try.

Not on a Mac, as far as I can see.
neilnomac wrote:
...and keep the Apple for what it's best at

Which is everything, notably text.

Cheers,

Hans

United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again May 10, 2013

Unfortunately the web is so full of volunteer, poor, and amateur translation already, added to increasing amounts of poorly edited (or non-edited) machine translation, that the use of GT4T puts professional translators at a big risk of contributing to the garbage. Just beware, please!

Thanks for the advice. Good to know that I'm not overlooking some simple feature.

Don't worry, I've been full-time translating for 13 years. I am well-aware of the limits of machine translation. For most of what I translate, it is only useful as a reference. When I say "short translation". I mean "January", "red, blue, green, yellow". As I write here, http://www.miriamhurley.com/pesky.html, things like "Zimbabwe".

On the great Mac debate, I'd rather gouge my eyes with hot pokers than use a PC regularly again. I have psychological scars from a PC-heavy computer job in the late '90s in New York. I'm sure they are less terrible now (I say optimistically) but I will never go back. I'm happy with Wordfast and think software developers who can't serve the whole market need to adapt.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Machine translate just short segments

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search