Thread poster: Fiona Gonçalves
Fiona Gonçalves
Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:57
Portuguese to English
+ ...
May 13, 2013

I'm trying to load a PDF file. It's quite large (12mg) and has pictures but it is editable as I am able to select the text and copy it to a word document. I only get as far as the message telling me it can take a while to load larger pdf documents and then wordfast simply closes. No error message and it doesn't load the document.
Can anyone give me any pointers?

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:57
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
OCR May 13, 2013

I believe that it might be quicker to run the PDF file through an OCR program and then translate a Word file in Wordfast Pro. The OCR result should be of fair quality since it is a live PDF file.

Fiona Gonçalves
Portugal
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 13, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion Andrey. I expect you're right; unfortunately, I don't have an OCR programme.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 16:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Convert to Word May 13, 2013

I'd try converting the PDF to Word. I use Solid Converter - I think you can get a demo version to try out or maybe a free one. You just open the PDF, "Extract" it and save as a Word document. Then work on the Word doc as usual and save it as PDF at the end (if you like).

PS: If the file is too large (maybe it contains pics, photo etc that bulk it up) I usually just save it as TXT (text without format) and work on that, then convert it back to Word or PDf format.

[Edited at 20
... See more
I'd try converting the PDF to Word. I use Solid Converter - I think you can get a demo version to try out or maybe a free one. You just open the PDF, "Extract" it and save as a Word document. Then work on the Word doc as usual and save it as PDF at the end (if you like).

PS: If the file is too large (maybe it contains pics, photo etc that bulk it up) I usually just save it as TXT (text without format) and work on that, then convert it back to Word or PDf format.

[Edited at 2013-05-13 11:58 GMT]
Collapse

Fiona Gonçalves
Portugal
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 13, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion Neil. I'll give it a try.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast fails to load document and closes

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »