Amr Anany  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 00:02
Member (2012)
English to Arabic
+ ...
May 15, 2013

Hello Colleagues
I translated a big Pfd file in wordfast containing a lot of graphs, maps and pictures. In some instants, I was able to get the target very similar to the source with almost same formatting. However, for many graphs, I got unsatisfactory results that made me now doubt the reliability of wordfast. I am using a demo version (pro 0.03) and translating from English to Arabic. I have 2 questions:
Is there any way to make a re-processing of that PDF before translation?
Do You think Wordfast is capable of translating such files giving a mirror formatting that appeals to any client?
Thanks
Amr

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:02
Member (2008)
French to English
Some pdf's can't be converted to Word May 15, 2013

If a pdf file is very heavy with graphics and overlaid text, its doubtful that any program will convert it to Word very successfully. This isn't necessarily a limitation of the converter but a reflection that Word is basically a word-processing program, not a desktop publishing program. In this case it may be necessary to perform the translation on the original file. Pdf's are never the original file - they are an output of a program and are not intended to be edited, even though we often do.

For example, I am doing a job right now that could not convert to Word so the client will be providing me with the original InDesign files.

I realize you didn't say you were converting it to Word, but the same applies to editing directly in the pdf, since element sizes can change and become repositioned - again because it's not what the pdf was designed for.

[Edited at 2013-05-15 19:38 GMT]

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
PDFs are not meant for editing May 15, 2013

Dear Amr,

PDFs are meant to be reproduced in the same manner on any system. They are not meant to be edited, let alone to be translated into a language that requires less or more space than the original document.

Some customers are so desperate and/or clueless that they want us to deliver a translation with the same formatting and in the same format anyway, but the most we can ever promise them is that we'll try and do the best we can.

As a matter of fact, that's the only thing Wordfast (Classic, Pro and Anywhere) tries and promises too.

The company that finds a way to reconvert PDFs into the original format will earn a ProZ award and will be prosecuted during a century. Trust me, it won't happen.

If there would have been a way to guarantee both true reproduction and editability, our problem would have been solved ages ago.

Cheers,
Gerard

Egypt
Member (2012)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
is Indesign a solution? May 15, 2013

Thanks John
Yes, the Pdf file is heavy, and I believe it was not the original. Do you think I can make it if I have Indesign?

France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Try to add more value May 15, 2013

Amr Anany wrote:

Thanks John
Yes, the Pdf file is heavy, and I believe it was not the original. Do you think I can make it if I have Indesign?

Stay away from these jobs and don't buy Indesign, just check if your CAT has an Indesign filter. Never presume that a CAT programme can solve problems nobody else has solved before and never presume the contrary.

Cheers,
Gerard

Egypt
Member (2012)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 15, 2013

Merci Gerard

John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 18:02
Member (2008)
French to English
Source formats May 15, 2013

Amr Anany wrote:

Thanks John

You don't translate in InDesign, you translate in a CAT tool that can use InDesign files. I'm not sure about WF Pro, I don't use it, but Studio can translate InDesign IDML files directly. If the client can only supply INDD files you will need to buy a freelance license for InDesign ($25, valid for 30 days) to import it into InDesign and export it as IDML.

But that's not saying the original source was necessarily InDesign but that you sometimes need to translate in the original file format, not the PDF. You will need to find out what the client can supply.

Alternatively, I sometimes tell clients that I can only provide them with a cross-reference table, source text on one side and target text on the other. They can then have their graphic designer copy from the table to rebuild the source document with the translation.

[Edited at 2013-05-15 23:34 GMT]

France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
The horrible Adobe line break May 15, 2013

Each morning or afternoon someone must wake up somewhere with a headache because he invented the Adobe line break. What seems to be the only solution in the eighties can kill you in the next century.

Cheers,
Gerard

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast and graphs, maps and pictures in pdf file

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search