Polina Rassolova-Karageuzian
Polina Rassolova-Karageuzian  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:13
English to Russian
+ ...
May 23, 2013

Dear all

We are using Wordfast Demo Version: 3.1.5 for MAC with view of buying the license.

We translate INX files. The nature of our translations is such that we do not use TMs, and mainly use it for terminology management. Thus, we have not used even the 500 TU's.

Today one of my colleagues has lost all of his work when he went to File > and opened the INX file instead of a TXML file. After that the programme started initializing the workspace from
... See more
Dear all

We are using Wordfast Demo Version: 3.1.5 for MAC with view of buying the license.

We translate INX files. The nature of our translations is such that we do not use TMs, and mainly use it for terminology management. Thus, we have not used even the 500 TU's.

Today one of my colleagues has lost all of his work when he went to File > and opened the INX file instead of a TXML file. After that the programme started initializing the workspace from scratch and seemingly replaced the previously saved TXML file.

We normally convert InDesign into INX and then open them in Wordfast thus creating txml files.

But it seems like when you close the txml file you have been working on and want to reopen it and happen to accidentally click on the INX file it creates a new overriding txml file and you lose all your work.

Is there any way of restoring the lost file?

In any case, there should be a warning from Wordfast "Are you sure you want to re-initialize workspace and create an overriding file" or something along those lines.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you in advance

Polina
Collapse

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:13
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
My two cents May 24, 2013

I am not an expert (and I don't use a mac) but I have found that using a tm (even if you "don't use it") is the best way to automatically save your work. If Wordfast happens to crash (or "initializes" which I have never seen) and you don't have every single segment saved that you entered in your txml (by saving the txml all the time), that work will be lost. If you use a tm, it will all be automatically saved and you will be safeguarded when wordfast (rarely) or your pc (more often) crashes.
... See more
I am not an expert (and I don't use a mac) but I have found that using a tm (even if you "don't use it") is the best way to automatically save your work. If Wordfast happens to crash (or "initializes" which I have never seen) and you don't have every single segment saved that you entered in your txml (by saving the txml all the time), that work will be lost. If you use a tm, it will all be automatically saved and you will be safeguarded when wordfast (rarely) or your pc (more often) crashes.

When you open the original INX file for a second time, I think Wordfast will automatically open the txml that it had created IF it was saved in the same folder. If it was saved in a different folder, it will open a new txml.
Bottom line: if your work was saved, it should still be there.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All work lost when INX file opened instead of txml

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »