WF PRO: consistency check available only in PM view
Thread poster: SEA-words

SEA-words  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 15, 2013

I just noticed that when setting my Transcheck preferences in Preferences I was not offered with the option "Consistency check" that is offered in the Transcheck menu within the PM view.

Are the other differences between the two transchecks? Is the one in the PM view more sophisticated?

Direct link Reply with quote

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:50
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
They are just different Jun 17, 2013

They check for some things that are the same and some that are different after all they are though of for two different jobs, translator and PM

The PM view checks "consistency", "edited gold segments" and "unedited fuzzy segments" which the Editor view does not.

The Editor view checks "partial segments", "forbidden characters", "punctuations", "untranslatables" and "blacklists" which the PM view does not.

Both views check for "tag", "empty target", "numerical", "copied source", "terminology" and "first word capitalization".

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
wow Jun 17, 2013

Thank you very much for your explanation, Alex. It looks like I need to run both Transcheck.
I don't see why a translator shouldn't be aware of segments translated differently.

AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
English to Czech
+ ...
Useful for multiple files Jun 17, 2013

I agree it would be great to be able check for consistency when you are translating but I guess this is what the automatic TM lookup is supposed to be for. The PM consistency check is really useful when you need to check multiple files. I just wish there were a bit more flexibility for that, like disregarding different tags and other insignificant differences.

English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
pros and cons Jun 17, 2013

AnnaSCHTR wrote:
... but I guess this is what the automatic TM lookup is supposed to be for.

I have been experiencing delays with remote TMs, they often get disconnected after a while I am not using Wordfast (it is still open, but I am not checking.
The thing gets even slower if I am working with two remote TMs and one local.

My set-up is usually:
1) remote TM for the project, read only
2) remote TM from another project that could be useful, read only
3) local TM - my personal TM, read & write

Therefore sometimes the remote TMs gets disconnected, they are disabled, and I am working with the local TM only. It takes me a while to realize so, thus it would be great to check for consistency. Furthermore, let's suppose you change the translation of a given segment after its 2nd occurrence and you don't have autopropagation enabled: there might be inconsistencies.

Finally, both Trados and MemoQ offer the consistency check in their QA, so I don't think that would be useful from a PM's view, only.

AnnaSCHTR  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
English to Czech
+ ...
True Jun 17, 2013

Paola Slajmer wrote:
Furthermore, let's suppose you change the translation of a given segment after its 2nd occurrence and you don't have autopropagation enabled: there might be inconsistencies.

I agree - I don't use Autopropagation at all. Also, most inconsistencies occur during proofing, so it would be very useful to have an alert like this immediately available. Definitely something to put on the wish list for the future Wordfast updates!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF PRO: consistency check available only in PM view

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search