Using multiple source/target terms in a single Glossary entry...
Thread poster: Etienne Lehoux-Jobin
Etienne Lehoux-Jobin  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:56
English to French
+ ...
Jun 28, 2013

Hello!

I'm a new user of Wordfast Pro 3 for Windows. My question is about terminology management in Wordfast's Glossary.

Is there a way to use more than just one source and/or target term in a single Glossary entry?

For example, let's say I have the following English and French terms:

EN:
representative, elected official, district representative

FR:
élu, représentant élu, député

Those are three English and three French terms which, depending on the context, could all be "synonyms".

Do I need to create separate entries for every possible combination, in this case, nine entries (3 FR X 3 EN), or is there a way to group all these terms into a single entry?

For instance, if the source text contains either "representative", "elected official" or "district representative", is there a way by which I could be prompted to use either "élu", "représentant élu" or "député" without, of course, having to create (and manage!) nine separate entries?

Thank you very much!

Direct link Reply with quote

Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:56
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Entries for source terms only Jun 29, 2013

I'd manage this by making entries for the three source terms (without these Wordfast will not know to alert you to translations you have entered).
When you enter the definitions, there is a text box for your comments, and I'd use this to remind me of the other options. I'd then type in my choice to the target document each time.
If you make three entries for each source (each with a different definition) you'll have to select which definition you want, each time.
Either way there are a few key-presses involved.

Etienne Lehoux-Jobin  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:56
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your answer Samantha! Jun 30, 2013

I still find it hard to believe that what I'm trying to do is not feasible... Anyway, that workaround is a bit cumbersome, but it's still better than my solution.

Thanks!

Samantha Payn wrote:

I'd manage this by making entries for the three source terms (without these Wordfast will not know to alert you to translations you have entered).
When you enter the definitions, there is a text box for your comments, and I'd use this to remind me of the other options. I'd then type in my choice to the target document each time.
If you make three entries for each source (each with a different definition) you'll have to select which definition you want, each time.
Either way there are a few key-presses involved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using multiple source/target terms in a single Glossary entry...

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search