Getting a partial refund from Wordfast Pro for their Mac version
Thread poster: pcs_MCIL
Jul 5, 2013

Has anybody thought about asking for a partial refund since the Mac version of Wordfast is always full of bugs and "behind" the Win version?
Why pay the same to get less?

For years it was not possible to add words to the dictionary when spellchecking. There were odd signs that made the view clumsy (like little arrow pointing up and left).
It was not possible to create a custom filter to translate XLF files.
Now their version 3.2 keeps crashing and I had to revert to 3.1.5 despite I am running the most up to date OS system.


I am using it because I don't have a choice, but I am seriously considering to installa the Windows version on WMware since the Mac version is so buggy!


 

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 23:10
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
CafeTran Jul 6, 2013

Girino wrote:

I am using it because I don't have a choice, but I am seriously considering to installa the Windows version on WMware since the Mac version is so buggy!


Hi Girino,

I know at least 3 other CAT programs running on Macs - CafeTran, OmegaT and SwordFish. So if you are happy with your Mac, change your CAT.


 

pcs_MCIL
TOPIC STARTER
Remote TMs Jul 6, 2013

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:
So if you are happy with your Mac, change your CAT.


I would if I could. Unfortunately my client work with WF remote TMs *only*, forcing me to use Wordfast Pro.

Unless you tell me there is a way I can download the remote TMs locally and then use the CAT of my choice... in this case I'd owe you one!


 

xxxowhisonant  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:10
German to English
+ ...
End the suffering - go VMWARE! Jul 6, 2013

Girino wrote:

Has anybody thought about asking for a partial refund since the Mac version of Wordfast is always full of bugs and "behind" the Win version?
Why pay the same to get less?

For years it was not possible to add words to the dictionary when spellchecking. There were odd signs that made the view clumsy (like little arrow pointing up and left).
It was not possible to create a custom filter to translate XLF files.
Now their version 3.2 keeps crashing and I had to revert to 3.1.5 despite I am running the most up to date OS system.


I am using it because I don't have a choice, but I am seriously considering to installa the Windows version on WMware since the Mac version is so buggy!


For most software, Mac market share is so much lower that developers (incl. Microsoft!) can't or won't afford the same R&D and QA on their OS X versions that they invest into their Windows apps. This tends to lead higher license prices, more bugs, and less support. For that reason, and because I had to run quite a few native Windows apps for work, I went with VMWare. It's easy to set up and configure with various versions of Windows and Linux, has been very stable on my 2008 MacBook Pro for a couple of years now, acting as an actual production environment in which I run Trados, for example. The so-called Unity mode is very cool, runs your Windows apps on your Mac desktop as if Windows were not even there. All definitely ready for primetime...

Maybe the WordFast people would even be willing to let you switch for free?


 

pcs_MCIL
TOPIC STARTER
Multi-OS Jul 6, 2013

owhisonant wrote:

Maybe the WordFast people would even be willing to let you switch for free?


This is already possible with no special request. You simply install the Windows version in VMware, and ask for a new license file through WF website.

That said, I do agree with what you say about the very little market share that Mac users offers, especially in our industry. However I think that being WF the only cat that is multiplatform (don't forget they offer a Linux version, too!), they should really leverage their position instead of letting it go.

Or at least they could offer a lower price for their Mac version, so that it will appeal more users and won't disappoint those who knew how good the Windows version is.
The multi-OS capability is an asset that the other CAT that Selcuk mentioned don't have (or at least, I don't think they do).

Also, apart from computers, Apple share offers easy compatibility with a number of devices (their iPhones and iPads) that could lead to further development of products in the long run.
Just days ago, someone posted on the Italian forum about an app to reorganize/edit TMs from the iPad. We couldn't name any, but I don't think it would take very much to make one. Of course, there is very little interest from anybody not already in the translation business on developing such app.

What I want to say is: the world is changing, folks!


 

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:10
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not only Jul 6, 2013

Girino wrote:

That said, I do agree with what you say about the very little market share that Mac users offers, especially in our industry. However I think that being WF the only cat that is multiplatform (don't forget they offer a Linux version, too!), they should really leverage their position instead of letting it go.


Wrong. There are other programs such as OmegaT, Cafetran, Swordfish that share a common feature with Wordfast Pro: they are written in Java and run in Java runtime environment. Thus, they all can be used under any operating system for which a JRE is available. There is also Anaphraseus that runs in Apache OpenOffice/LibreOffice and thus can be used udner many operating system.

Or at least they could offer a lower price for their Mac version,


In view of the above, there’s no Mac version. Your problems seem to relate to drawbacks of your operating system and/or JRE for it rather than to WFP itself. Besides, why should Windows or Linux users pay a higher price? Just because you opt to use an inferior operating system? That’s not fair, is it?

BTW,

For years it was not possible to add words to the dictionary when spellchecking.


WFP uses Hunspell to check spelling, and the dictionaries are just plain-text files that can be easily (in Linux or Windows at least) edited with any good text editor. Perhaps, it’s not very convenient as compared to adding on-the-fly, but it’s a solution.


 

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:10
Spanish to English
+ ...
Bite the bullet, not the apple Jul 7, 2013

Adam knew what he was in for when he ate that forbidden fruit, but he still went ahead regardless.
One of the main reasons I don't buy into the Macintosh/Apple ethos is the issue of compatibility (lack of) with CAT tools and other useful software - there are still even problems with something as basic as MS Word and the iPad. The last time I bought a laptop, my friend bought a Macintosh at the same time and since then she has had several problems with compatibility, having to reinstall programs, etc., whereas I haven't had any such issues.
A simple solution - get yourself a non-Mac PC for translation purposes and keep the Macintosh for whatever else it's good at.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting a partial refund from Wordfast Pro for their Mac version

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search