Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:40
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 10, 2013

G'day everyone

For a while now I've noticed that whenever I insert a glossary term in WFC, there is a space after the term, but because I usually work with non-printing characters unviewed, I thought that it was simply a problem with MS Word's "smart editing" and then I deleted the space if I needed to.

However, today I noticed that the space after glossary entries is actually a non-breaking space... and that space is also present in the little glossary dropdown menu that comes up when multiple entries are found in the glossary. I have checked my glossaries and the spaces are not there. I have reorganised them etc, but WFC still inserts the non-breaking spaces.

I haven't upgraded WFC recently, but of course no-one knows whether MS Word (I use 2003) might have been updated by Microsoft.

The non-breaking space is shown in the dropdown menu regardless of whether the glossary entry has a comment, but if it does have a comment, the non-breaking space is not inserted into the document.

In the above example, both "verslag" and "aangee" has the non-breaking space after it, in the dropdown menu, and when I select "verslag", the non-breaking space will also be inserted into the document, but when I select "aangee", the non-breaking space will not be inserted into the document along with the term.

Does anyone know a fix for this problem (except to add dummy comments to all glossary entries)?

Samuel

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:40
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Problem for me too Jul 12, 2013

I haven't investigated what's in my glossary, Samuel, but it IS driving me mad.

Another thing that's driving me mad is that the part of the word taken from the glossary often appears in capitals. So I'm typing away and I come to a word that's in the glossary, let's say "trousers" as I'm doing a lot of fashion work at present. I type "tr" then click on the lower-case glossary entry. What I end up with is "trOUSERS"! That definitely takes longer to correct than typing an extra 6 letters. The odd thing is that it doesn't seem to happen all the time. I suspect the problem may appear because sometimes there's a word that does have a capital, e.g. "T-shirt".

They're both quite minor problems, aren't they, but both involve going backwards when you really want to be going forwards.

Maybe someone will reply to your problem now, as this will have bounced it up the list!icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mysterious non-breaking spaces after glossary terms

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search