WordFast opens, file doesn't
Thread poster: Danusha
Jul 28, 2013

Hello, everyone,

When I double-click a txml file in Windows explorer, the WordFast itself starts alright, but the file won't open. I have to click Open file, then find it and open it through WordFast menus. Needless to say, it's a terrible annoyance.

I have this problem on both Windows XP and 7 with WordFast versions 3.1.3 and 3.1.5 (I think 3.1.4, too, but not quite sure, don't remember).

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Danusha (a male name)

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:51
English to Czech
Project Jul 28, 2013

Danusha wrote:

What am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Danusha (a male name)

Wordfast Pro is CAT for translating a project. Project consist from source files of different types and after translation of target files with same types. TXML file is bilingual segmented XML file with textes from all translated files.

I recommend you to accept a system and to use Project as basic modul of WFP. So, start with Open Project.

Milan

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:51
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe memory settings? Jul 28, 2013

In my case this happened and got solved by lowering the memory usage from 1470MB to 1024MB however if you absolutely need the higher memory I don't know how to solve this.

Александр Кормановский
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:51
Russian to German
+ ...
Reinstall Jul 29, 2013

The easiest way - reinstall WFP. I got the same issue with WFP 3.2. Run params may be wrong.
As Wordfast runs under Java, you cannot simply call as usual "c:\Program Files\Wordfast 3.2\Wordfast.exe" "%1".
Command line should look like (in my case):
"c:\Program Files\Wordfast 3.2\Wordfast.exe" --launcher.ini "%USERPROFILE%\.eclipse\org.gs4tr.editor.brand.wordfast.product.temp_20130606-0439\Wordfast.ini" "%1"
You can see it in Folder Properties > File Types > TXML.

[Редактировалось 2013-07-29 06:58 GMT]

Danusha
TOPIC STARTER
Not memory. Jul 29, 2013

Alex Lago wrote:

In my case this happened and got solved by lowering the memory usage from 1470MB to 1024MB however if you absolutely need the higher memory I don't know how to solve this.

Nope, not my case. I'm using the minimum 256 MB. Never need more.

Thank you.

Danusha
TOPIC STARTER
Reinstall Jul 29, 2013

Praeeo wrote:

Command line should look like (in my case):
"c:\Program Files\Wordfast 3.2\Wordfast.exe" --launcher.ini "%USERPROFILE%\.eclipse\org.gs4tr.editor.brand.wordfast.product.temp_20130606-0439\Wordfast.ini" "%1"
You can see it in Folder Properties > File Types > TXML.

[Редактировалось 2013-07-29 06:58 GMT]

I'm under Windows 7. Folder Properties don't have File Types anymore, only Default Programs in Control Panel which doesn't do that anymore.

Is Yasmin still here? THAT's who knows everything about WordFast.

Александр Кормановский
Russian Federation
Russian to German
+ ...
Yeah Jul 29, 2013

Danusha wrote:
I'm under Windows 7. Folder Properties don't have File Types anymore, only Default Programs in Control Panel which doesn't do that anymore.

Yes, are right. I would look into Registry (with regedit) then, branch HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, you can find .txml extension there and look what it contains.
I simply reinstalled WF, additionally you can make backup of .wf_workspace directory before.

Danusha
TOPIC STARTER
ARGH! Jul 30, 2013

Praeeo wrote:

Yes, are right. I would look into Registry (with regedit) then, branch HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, you can find .txml extension there and look what it contains.
I simply reinstalled WF, additionally you can make backup of .wf_workspace directory before.

I did reinstall it. A few times actually. In fact, one of the times I not only reinstalled it but also fully restored factory Windows on my laptop with full formatting and THEN reinstalled WordFast. And did it with all three - 3.1.3, 3.1.4, and 3.1.5. Didn't work.

I don't know how to edit registry and have never done it. Wouldn't want to break anything.

Asked the WF hotline (60 euros a year!), they asked me to send a screenshot of the problem.

Oh, how I miss Yasmin!!!icon_frown.gif

Александр Кормановский
Russian Federation
Russian to German
+ ...
Newer version Jul 31, 2013

Why don't you use newer versions? I have the last-released WFP 3.2.0, it has a lot of improvements. Reinstallation helped me on this version.
Your problem seems to be strange. Another one possible issue - file path contains over 255 symbols, contains spaces or non-english characters.

Danusha
TOPIC STARTER
because Aug 3, 2013

Praeeo wrote:

Why don't you use newer versions? I have the last-released WFP 3.2.0, it has a lot of improvements. Reinstallation helped me on this version.
Your problem seems to be strange. Another one possible issue - file path contains over 255 symbols, contains spaces or non-english characters.

I don't use the newer version because I absolutely hate the combined local and remote TMs and 3.1.3 is the last version that doesn't have that travesty.

The problem does look strange, especially because it affects two iterations of Windows on two different computers and three versions of the program itself.

The WF support "hotline" still didn't reply. 60 euros well spent.

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:51
Upgrade Aug 8, 2013

Hi Danusha,

Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is upgrade. This was a bug in previous versions of WFP that was resolved in version 3.2.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

John Daniel
Local time: 09:51
Sort TM list Aug 8, 2013

I understand you hate TM List which combines Remote and Local but you can sort TMs by column. You can sort by Type so Remote and Local gets separated.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WordFast opens, file doesn't

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search