Did the license always have a 3 year limit?
Thread poster: Heike Reagan

Heike Reagan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:36
Member (2004)
German to English
Aug 5, 2013

I'm having one of those mornings and I just can't remember - was the license always limited to 3 years? I seem to remember that you bought it the program, upgraded eventually, and other than that requested a new, FREE license if you changed computers or whatever.
This morning all of a sudden WF Pro is in demo mode, won't let me access my TMs, and the website wants 100 for a 3-year license....
Was it always like that and I just don't remember or did they change the rules all of a sudden....

Direct link Reply with quote

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:36
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast Pro has always been like that Aug 5, 2013

Dear Heike,

Wordfast Pro has been like that since its inception. I think the same has always been true for Wordfast Classic but as long as you didn't change your Word version, hard disk or computer Wordfast Classic would never complain. Some Wordfast Classic users were angry after many years of using it and Yves Champollion made sure this wouldn't happen again with Wordfast Pro. You should have had several warnings before Wordfast Pro turned into demo mode. Did you use Wordfast Pro online in the last months?

Cheers,
Gerard

[Edited at 2013-08-05 15:39 GMT]

United States
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answer Gerard! Aug 5, 2013

It's been "buggy" for several months now so I haven't used it much unless I *really* had to. I uninstalled/re-installed/updated it several times but that didn't help. So maybe I didn't see the warning.
I remember I used to be happy with it and it just "worked" when I used it - which was almost daily, really. But because it's been so unstable for the last year or so I'm not sure I really want to put more money into WF Pro, and I'm not happy with WF Anywhere either. I might look at other CAT tools before buying a new license....

Thanks again for your answer Gerard!

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Which version of WFP Aug 5, 2013

Hi Heike,

Can you let me know what version of Wordfast Pro you are currently running? Also, what bugs you were you encountering? If its easier, you can email me directly at kmarrero@wordfast.com. I would like to be able to help you with any issues you are having.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

[Edited at 2013-08-05 15:39 GMT]

United States
Member (2004)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I completely wiped it Aug 5, 2013

today and reinstalled the upgrade version 3.2.0, bought and imported a new license, and am currently starting "from scratch" with completely new TMs/Glossaries. Right now it's working normal. If it starts acting up again I'll be very happy to let you know!
Thank you Kristyna!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Did the license always have a 3 year limit?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search