Wf Classic does not drop 100% matches when target segment is not empty.
Thread poster: M. F. Pignataro

M. F. Pignataro  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 17:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 14, 2013

Dear colleagues,

I am using Wf Classic Version 6.02r with Word 2007.

My client sent me a presegmented Word file with some segments already translated, and the segments which are not translated were completed with the source (copy source).

Now, I am using a TM of my own, and I know for sure there are 100% matches for these segments (because I even see these segments when TM is shown), but I don't know how to make Wf paste these translations into the target segment automatically.

Wf even shows the target segment with the red border indicating there is a 100% match, but I cannot make it drop it on the target segment.

Up to now, I am just copying and pasting the text appearing in the TM information, but this is a waste of time.

Could you please help me.

Thanks a lot!
Regards,
Fernanda.

[Edited at 2013-08-14 16:35 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:34
French to English
Shortcut Aug 14, 2013

I am not 100% sure about the shortcut to insert a different match when you have a red box, it might be ALT+right/left arrows, that should toggle you to the other match. Check the manual if this doesn't work

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wf Classic does not drop 100% matches when target segment is not empty. Aug 14, 2013

Lori Cirefice wrote:

I am not 100% sure about the shortcut to insert a different match when you have a red box, it might be ALT+right/left arrows, that should toggle you to the other match. Check the manual if this doesn't work

Thanks Lori, shortcuts are enabled but do not work.
Now, I continued with the copy and paste, and the Auto Complete function is starting to work again, offering the 100% matches of my TM (in some segments, not in all of them).

If this goes on, I will try uninstalling and reinstalling to see if this solved by itself.

Thanks for your help.

Regards.

[Edited at 2013-08-14 18:11 GMT]

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Shift+Alt+Insert or BetterMatch Aug 14, 2013

María, when the match is shown in the TM information prompt, press Shift+Alt+Insert. It should paste the translation into your target field.

Another option with the slightly older Wordfast Classic version you are using is activating a BetterMatch command in Pandora's Box (PB). I suppose BetterMatch=Write or BetterMatch=Discrete is what you need. When one of these is activated, Wordfast should insert the match automatically into your target field in your pre-segmented document.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What a nightmare! Aug 14, 2013

María Fernanda Pignataro wrote:
My client sent me a presegmented Word file with some segments already translated, and the segments which are not translated were completed with the source (copy source).

What a nightmare.

Some options:

1. Create a temporary TM. Then clean up the file (to add the segments to the TM). Then create a new copy of the file in which all translations are removed (Alt+Del, while no segments are open). Penalise your temporary TM by e.g. 40%, and do the translation as normal.

2. Same as #1, but don't penalise the TM, and before you do the clean up, perform this Find/Replace (with wild cards enabled):

Find: ( \ < \ } ) ( * ) ( \ { \ > )
Replace: [ \ 2 ] < } \ 2 { > [ \ 2 ]

(Remove spaces; added due to ProZ.com's forum software)

This will add the original match percentage to both the source and target text, so that when you clean it up, it will be present in the TM view (Ctrl+Alt+M) and you won't get any of those segments accidentally as 100% matches. Just remember to remove the number when you insert the match (it is there to protect you, but you need to delete it anyway).

3. If you want to retain fuzzy matches and existing 100% matches in the file you got from the client, but you want all 0% matches to be removed, use this Find/Replace with wildcards:

Find: \ < \ } 0 \ { \ > * \ < 0 \ }
Replace: < } 0 { > < 0 }

This will delete all the target text from segments with 0% matches.

4. If you don't want to do any of that, then: Whenever you suspect that there is a better match in the TM, you can press Shift+Alt+Insert. That will overwrite what's in the target field with the highest match in the TM (even if that match is lower than the match that created the original match). In particular, if you see a red border around the segment, then you KNOW that there is a 100% match in the TM that is different from what is currently in the segment, and then you can use Shift+Alt+Insert to replace it.

Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all! Aug 14, 2013

Dear colleagues,

Thanks a lot for your help!
The Shift+Alt+Insert shortcut seems to be working fine, and so I can get the translations from my TM.

Warm regards from Fernanda, Buenos Aires, Argentina.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wf Classic does not drop 100% matches when target segment is not empty.

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search