MonicaVFreit (X)
Brazil
Local time: 17:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sep 14, 2013

Hello,

Wordfast Classic 6.03t
MS Word 2010 (although this used to happen with 2007 also)

I translate ENPT texts and every so often run into a segment that needs to be expanded in order to be translated correctly due to word order difference, to this day I have not been able to expand a segment in order to do this.

What am I doing wrong? I have tried the button, I have tried the shortcut but nothing works!

Word order and mostly the order of adjectives really differs in these languages and I need to be able to expand segments so as not to compromise my TM. Please help.

Thank you,
Monica

Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:46
English to French
+ ...
run-around tip Sep 14, 2013

That happens occasionally, depending on the version (since I'm a beta tester, I can't remember which ones are better in that respect).

When I can't expand a segment, I unsegment then select what I want in a segment and open it using Shift+Alt+Down. It is a kludge, but it works.

MonicaVFreit (X)
Brazil
Local time: 17:46
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
run-around tip Sep 14, 2013

Thanks for your reply JL01. I'll try that, though I'm not really sure how to do it...

I believe I have 2 urgent needs:
1) to figure out how to stop wasting time trying to expand segments in WC
2) a course in WC

icon_smile.gif

Monica

Marcelina Haftka  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 22:46
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
show hidden elements Sep 14, 2013

Hello Monica,

Have you tried to show all the hidden elements (MS Word: Tools>Options>View and check "Formatting marks">all)? Maybe you're working on an OCRed version, maybe the author used too many paragraph marks?

As JL01 has just written: you can close the empty segment or un-segment it and then select with your cursor the exact length of the next segment desired and click shift+alt+arrow down.
It works (and if there are some paragraph marks, WC will tell you straight away).

Good luck!

Marcelina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't seem to Expand segment on WC

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search