Wordfast Pro won't open/convert TMX Trados TM
Thread poster: Judith Lang

Judith Lang  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:45
English to German
+ ...
Sep 23, 2013

Normally, it's dead simple: my customer sends me the TMX export of their SDL Trados file, I open it in Wordfast Pro 3.2.0, Wordfast converts it to TXT, I get all the matches and translate the text. Easy breezy.

However,
With the current TMX export, I keep getting this error message:

***fatalerror*** Error on line 2711 of document file:///xxxxx en-uk_de-de.tmx : XML document structures must start and end within the same entity. Nested exception: XML document structures must start and end within the same entity.

Drives me crazy. This TM should give me at least 50% full matches, and I can't even open the thing ...

What could be wrong?

[Edited at 2013-09-23 08:56 GMT]

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
What could be wrong Sep 23, 2013

Most likely, there's some problem with the XML tags in the file. It could be something that can be fixed in 2 minutes by hand. If you post the file here, I'll have a look.
If you can't publish the file, open a good TMX file and this one in a text editor side by side and see if there are differences in the header and at the end (missing </body> or </tmx> tag at the end, for instance). The structure of TMX files is fairly comprehensible so it's not that hard. As a last resort, you could try transplanting the header of a good TMX in the same language combination into the new file. Overwrite the old header, of course.

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Olifant Sep 23, 2013

Thanks for your input! I'll do that in a minute. I managed to open the file in Olifant and exported it as Wordfile txt. Now I can open the file in Wordfast, however, the matches are gone. The TM gives me about 10% matches, where it should be at least 50%!

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where can I send the file to? Sep 23, 2013

Also, I don't want to put the TMX online. I tried sending it to you through proz but the the message that it's an invalid file type. This doesn't bear well ....

Regards,
Judith

English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SOLVED Sep 23, 2013

Hold your horses!
The customer forwarded the file to their IT department and they found the error and send me a new file. Opens perfectly, all TM matches are available.

Sorry to have bothered you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro won't open/convert TMX Trados TM

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search