Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:21
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 26, 2013

Dear colleagues

I'm proofreading a batch of WF files using Pro 3.2.1, and a remote translation memory hosted in my client's server.

The remote translation memory was updated by my client yesterday, and the files I've just received from the translator today do not include those upgrades. I have to check every single segment of 700 translated segments, not only the job done by the translator, but against the remote translation memory, and to apply the newest versión found in there.

But the process is too long. When I move from one segment to the following one, there is no a concordance search in the remote memory. I have to select the source text and manually push the button for a TM lookup. Next, I check if there are some differences, and I apply the remote translation. An absolutely annonying process, and it takes too much time.

Any suggestion to speed this process.

Kind regards

Clarisa

NOTE ADDED: 100 matches should be checked against the remote TM.
New translations > are to be proofread.

[Edited at 2013-09-26 21:46 GMT]

Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:21
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Do I understand this right... Sep 27, 2013

... that you are working on the files on your own system and have remote access to the updated TM. As they don't relate to each other, naturally, you can't see matches.

Is it then not easier to ask your client to upload the translation under the same project settings as the updated TM on the remote server?

Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes you do. Sep 27, 2013

dianaft wrote:

... that you are working on the files on your own system and have remote access to the updated TM. As they don't relate to each other, naturally, you can't see matches.

Right!

Is it then not easier to ask your client to upload the translation under the same project settings as the updated TM on the remote server?

That would be the logical step! The updated translation memory should have been applied first to the files I'm reviewing. Now I have a mixed, or scrambled, translation Project to be review.

John Daniel
Local time: 06:21
Try Perfrom TM Lookup Automatically Sep 27, 2013

Go to Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory > Check 'Perform TM Lookup Automatically.

Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does not work Sep 28, 2013

jsingaram wrote:

Go to Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory > Check 'Perform TM Lookup Automatically.

The TM lookup was enabled but it didn't seem to help.

Thanks

Clarisa

She's proofreading Sep 28, 2013

jsingaram wrote:

This works only when the target segment is empty. Clarisa is proofreading the file, thus she has to manually lookup each segment.

The only alternative I can think about, is a little complicated:

1) Create a local empty TM
2) Update the local TM with the translation provided
3) Clean all the target segments of the file (CTRL+ALT+DEL)
4) Set your TM priority as follows: first the remote TM, then the newly created local TM

In this way, the Lookup if done automatically: if a 100% match exist in the remote TM, it will be applied automatically, else any match in the local TM will be used.

Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think your tips are the ones I need. Sep 28, 2013

SEA-words wrote:

The only alternative I can think about, is a little complicated:

1) Create a local empty TM
2) Update the local TM with the translation provided
4) Set your TM priority as follows: first the remote TM, then the newly created local TM

In this way, the Lookup if done automatically: if a 100% match exist in the remote TM, it will be applied automatically, else any match in the local TM will be used.

Thanks!

Argentina
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Correction to my keyboard Sep 29, 2013

SEA-words wrote:

Keys for cleaning my file: Alt + Shift + Delete.

Regards

Clarisa

Yasmin Moslem  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 14:21
English to Arabic
Mouse Clicks or Ctr+Down to use "Perform TM Lookup Automatically" Sep 30, 2013

SEA-words wrote:

jsingaram (John) wrote:

Go to Edit > Preferences > Translation Memory > Check 'Perform TM Lookup Automatically'.

This works only when the target segment is empty. Clarisa is proofreading the file, thus she has to manually lookup each segment.

John is right.

To use the "automatic" TM Lookup, you have to move to a segment using either the mouse clicks or Ctrl+Down (not Alt+Down); you will see all the words of the segment in the TM Lookup textbox which will be automatically searched.

If you need a whole result, select it and press Ctrl+Alt+M to move the result to the target segment; this will overwrite the current target content.

If you need just a few words, select them and press Alt+F12; this will copy the selected words at the end of the target segment.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Yasmin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best practice for proofreading

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search