Thread poster: Paula Serrano

Paula Serrano  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 29, 2013

Hi, all,

This is the fifth time this problem has happened, so I need some guidance.

The problem is normally this: I am translating a text in either one or two columns normally. At some point, one segment is not segmented as I needed, so I shrink it (either with the keyboard shortcut or with the "minus" button). It works, but when I move to the next segment (the second part of the shrunk segment), a mysterious delimiter appears inside the original. From then on, there is nothing I can do (pass it, close it, remove segmentation): WF will somehow create a mega original segment with everything one or two paragraphs above (including originals and translations) and place everything within either the closest table or squared paragraph! Deleting the delimiter doesn't really help.

I suppose this is not clear if it has never happened to you, but it will ring a bell if it has. Currently, I am dreading any case of splitting up segments because of these messes. The only solution I've found is to return to a clean version of the file and start all over, but it isn't practical.

I am not using WF Pro because everyone else is using Classic and Concordance searches don't seem to work on TMs created in Classic (on this particular TM created in Classic; I've tried reorganization, I've run it through Olifant, all to no avail).

Anyway, if anyone can think of a reason why this is happening, please let me know. As I said, this has happened over 5 times now on different files and it's very frustrating.

Thanks in advance,

Paula

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:53
English to French
+ ...
WHAT VERSION of WfC are you using? Sep 29, 2013

With what OS/software combination?

At any rate, I would recommend you ask this question on the Wordfast Yahoo Group (wordfast@yahoogroups.com), where there is more knowledge.

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:53
English to French
+ ...
Alternative solution Sep 29, 2013

Have you tried an alternate segmentation method:

Select text you want in segment, and press Shift+Alt+Down.

There is no guarantee that it will work flawlessly, but I believe this feature works differently than the segment shrink/expand command.

At some point, one segment is not segmented as I needed, so I shrink it (either with the keyboard shortcut or with the "minus" button). It works, but when I move to the next segment (the second part of the shrunk segment), a mysterious delimiter appears inside the original. From then on, there is nothing I can do (pass it, close it, remove segmentation): WF will somehow create a mega original segment with everything one or two paragraphs above (including originals and translations) and place everything within either the closest table or squared paragraph! Deleting the delimiter doesn't really help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Classic messes up segmentation and formatting after shrinking

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search