WFC add-in appears to cause Word 2007 to hang on exiting -- any solution to this?
Thread poster: Lesley Jackson

Lesley Jackson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:29
Spanish to English
Oct 19, 2013

XP Professional, Word 2007 Home & Student (just upgraded from an ancient version of Word)

WF Classic works great, but after the session, when I try to exit Word, the screen goes totally white and I get an error message saying (something like) "Word has encountered a problem and cannot exit." Then there's a button to click to "force" it to exit, with a warning that changes recently made may be lost.

Looks like this is a common Word 2007 problem related to add-ins. I haven't found anything in ProZ forums on it but did find a suggestion elsewhere to try Start > Run... enter "WINWORD.EXE /a" to run Word without any add-ins and see if the problem goes away -- it DOES.

I've removed the COM add-ins (like "send to Bluetooth," which I don't need), and I'm assuming WF is the culprit. Anyone have experience with this problem and know a way to fix it? Thanks!

[Edited at 2013-10-20 00:31 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:29
Finnish to French
Bluetooth Oct 20, 2013

If your problem is related to an old, buggy Bluetooth driver (not impossible, if it's an XP machine), you must uninstall Bluetooth altogether and reboot. Merely removing the COM addin isn't sufficient. See this wiki article for details.
If wordfast.dot has been added to the list of disabled items, see this KB article.

United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
good info and resources - thanks! Oct 21, 2013

Hi, Dominique.

Since I removed the COM add-ins for Bluetooth and ABBYY (those were the only two COMs listed), Word actually HAS exited promptly without hanging -- though only a few times so far, as I didn't use it much over the weekend. If it starts hanging again, I will try your suggestions. Thanks very much!

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:29
Finnish to French
ABBYY Oct 21, 2013

It's a good idea to get rid of the ABBYY add-in, as it is a known troublemaker when used with Wordfast. For more information, see http://www.wordfast.net/?kb=158-21

You can use ABBYY software standalone (without integration in Word) anyway.

The main thing is you could solve your problem!

United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
problem solved, it seems Oct 24, 2013

Hi, Dominique. Just updating you with a report that I haven't had the problem even once over the last few days of working steadily.

So it would appear that doing the "remove" (in Word Options) of those two COM add-ins was enough to resolve the issue -- in this case, at least.

If it starts happening again, I'll have your suggestions handy to try. Many thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC add-in appears to cause Word 2007 to hang on exiting -- any solution to this?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search