Why is the remote TM option missing in my Wordfast Pro?
Thread poster: KFrost
KFrost
English to Danish
+ ...
Oct 23, 2013

In my previous job I used Wordfast Pro a lot and really liked it. I just bought it for myself and I need to use/create a remote TM. However, when I choose:

Translation Memory --> New/Select TM

the remote TM option does not appear under "Translation Memory" in the left side of the pane like it should.

Instead it says:

Translation Memory
- TM List
- TM Priority

Can anyone tell me why that is and how to get the remote TM option?

Thank you so much in advance

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicolas Roussel  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 15:33
Member (2011)
English to French
Local and Remote TMs are now merged Oct 23, 2013

Welcome and congratulations on your first posting.

You will notice that local TMs and remote TMs are now merged under "TM List".

Hope this helps.

N.

KFrost
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How do I create a remote TM? Oct 23, 2013

Thank you so much for answering. I don't see any options on the TM List for creating a remote TM though, could you explain how that is done?

Thank you so much in advance

Philippines
Member (2011)
English to French
An idea Oct 23, 2013

That is certainly a good question.

Although I never used that feature (creating a remote TM), I suppose you would have to create a local TM on a server and then use the access URL to that TM when you Add TM -> GLTM -> URL.

I’m anticipating more accurate replies from the colleagues.

I will ask my company how they do it and I will let you know.

Philippines
Member (2011)
English to French
Set up a Wordfast server Oct 23, 2013

Watch this video to know how to set up a Wordfast server:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHgH3dun27c

N.

KFrost
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 23, 2013

Thank you very much for your very fast and useful reply, Nicolas I will try it out.

Have a nice day.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:33
Finnish to French
Why a remote TM? Oct 23, 2013

KFrost wrote:
In my previous job I used Wordfast Pro a lot and really liked it. I just bought it for myself and I need to use/create a remote TM.

Just curious: why do you need to access a remote TM? If you work alone, local TM's would usually be sufficient. A remote TM is typically needed if you need to share it between several translators, whether they are physically located in the same place or spread across several locations. As you have already been told, a remote TM has to be hosted on Wordfast Server, whether it's operated by you or someone else. If you want to operate Wordfast Server yourself, you can use the small video (made by me) you were already pointed to. Using Wordfast Server is free for individual freelancers and small groups of freelancers. In itself, this is a great value, because TM servers from other vendors typically cost thousands (if not tens or hundreds of thousands) of euros.

KFrost
English to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wordfast Server Oct 24, 2013

Hi Dominique and thank you for your comment - and for a great instruction video

I need to use a remote TM because I will be working on a big translation project that has been divided between 4 translators. So, instead of sending our TMs to each other all the time, it would be a lot of help to just use a remote TM instead.

Actually, I didn't succeed in getting it to work when I tried to get it up and running yesterday. I followed the instruction video, which was very helpful, and in the end I was able to look up terms in the TM, but when I add a text to translate Wordfast says that no TM is connected. However, I am still using the demo mode of the WF Server since I don't know how to get an install number for it, so I guess this could be the problem? Is this something you could explain to me? That would be very helpful

Thank you in advance

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is the remote TM option missing in my Wordfast Pro?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search