Three annoying Wordfast Pro 3.2.2 'features'
Thread poster: Richard Bartholomew

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:55
Member (2007)
German to English
Oct 24, 2013

Annoying feature #1: Why does my copy of Wordfast Pro counts TUs when I deselect a TM under Translation Memory --> New/Select TM? I can understand the application counting TUs when I select a TM to determine whether or not the 500 TU max. for demo installations has been exceeded, but why does it count TUs at all when it knows that I have a valid licence installed?

Annoying feature #2: Occasionally I move to a segment much farther down in the document than the one I've been working on. When I return to the segment I was working on and click the blue Next Segment down-arrow in the tool bar, WordFast jumps not to the next segment but back to the one much farther down that I just returned from. This doesn't always happen, but it happens enough to be annoying.

Annoying feature #3: When I change a translation I've already saved to the TM, the change appears in the .txml file, but if I use the TM to re-translate the same text in a different file, Wordfast inserts the unchanged translation from the TM. Why doesn't Wordfast insert my modified translation? Does Wordfast even save the modified translation to the TM?

Presumably there are answers or fixes or both for these annoyances. Does anyone here know what they might be?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
John Daniel
Local time: 07:55
Annoying feature 3 Oct 24, 2013

For Annoying feature 3 do you have exact steps on what you did from the beginning or screen capture to show steps.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Myriam Le Brock  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:55
English to French
+ ...
Same problem Dec 19, 2013

Hi,
Just wanted to say that I have the second problem too. Perhaps someone can offer a reason or a solution. Thank you for your post and to anyone offering some advice...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:55
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Yes, annoying feature #1 Dec 19, 2013

is really very annoying, as my TMs are rather large, so this counting continues rather long...

Direct link Reply with quote
 

John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:55
Member (2006)
French to English
Suggestions Dec 26, 2013

Dear Richard,

Please see my suggestions below...

Richard Bartholomew wrote:

Annoying feature #1: Why does my copy of Wordfast Pro counts TUs when I deselect a TM under Translation Memory --> New/Select TM? I can understand the application counting TUs when I select a TM to determine whether or not the 500 TU max. for demo installations has been exceeded, but why does it count TUs at all when it knows that I have a valid licence installed?


This has been fixed I believe in the beta version that will soon be released to the public (after testing is finished).


Annoying feature #2: Occasionally I move to a segment much farther down in the document than the one I've been working on. When I return to the segment I was working on and click the blue Next Segment down-arrow in the tool bar, WordFast jumps not to the next segment but back to the one much farther down that I just returned from. This doesn't always happen, but it happens enough to be annoying.


I think this is a Find/Replace bug that has also been fixed. You likely went to that segment much further down using F/R.


Annoying feature #3: When I change a translation I've already saved to the TM, the change appears in the .txml file, but if I use the TM to re-translate the same text in a different file, Wordfast inserts the unchanged translation from the TM. Why doesn't Wordfast insert my modified translation? Does Wordfast even save the modified translation to the TM?


Make sure you haven't marked the segment as unconfirmed, you commit the segment to the TM once the change has been made (using either "Commit current segment to TM" icon or alt+down/up arrow), and your TM Preferences are set to "Add to TM; overwrite existing TU if attributes are identical (default)" under the section "When editing an existing TU:"

Hope this helps!

John


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Linguata NL-GER
Netherlands
Local time: 15:55
Dutch to German
+ ...
Problem #2 - most annoying Jan 20, 2014

Myriam Le Brock wrote:

Hi,
Just wanted to say that I have the second problem too. Perhaps someone can offer a reason or a solution. Thank you for your post and to anyone offering some advice...


I would be very (!!) thankful, too, for either Wordfast fixing this problem ( which is pressing alt+down and jumping from segment 5 to e.g. segment 164 instead of segment 6) or someone offering a solution as Wordfast Pro is a very appreciated CAT-tool after all. It is really annoying as time is precious and I'd like to waste it (more) wisely (i.e. not going back to where I wanna be in a Wordfast-file every now and then when revising my translations). Thank you.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Linguata NL-GER
Netherlands
Local time: 15:55
Dutch to German
+ ...
2nd problem seems to be fixed in new release Wf-Pro 3.3! Feb 10, 2014

Linguata NL-GER wrote:

Myriam Le Brock wrote:

Hi,
Just wanted to say that I have the second problem too. Perhaps someone can offer a reason or a solution. Thank you for your post and to anyone offering some advice...


I would be very (!!) thankful, too, for either Wordfast fixing this problem ( which is pressing alt+down and jumping from segment 5 to e.g. segment 164 instead of segment 6) or someone offering a solution as Wordfast Pro is a very appreciated CAT-tool after all. It is really annoying as time is precious and I'd like to waste it (more) wisely (i.e. not going back to where I wanna be in a Wordfast-file every now and then when revising my translations). Thank you.


Problem #2 hasn't occured while using the Jan '14 Wordfast Pro 3.3 release. Seems to be fixed. Finally it's a great piece of software again.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:55
Member (2007)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Committing segments to the TM Feb 11, 2014

John Di Rico wrote:
. . .

Make sure you haven't marked the segment as unconfirmed, you commit the segment to the TM once the change has been made (using either "Commit current segment to TM" icon or alt+down/up arrow), and your TM Preferences are set to "Add to TM; overwrite existing TU if attributes are identical (default)" under the section "When editing an existing TU:"

Hope this helps!

John


Yes, thank you John, that solved the problem.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Three annoying Wordfast Pro 3.2.2 'features'

Advanced search


Translation news related to Wordfast





Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search