Wordfast Pro using up to 97% of CPU (and painfully slow)
Thread poster: Zena Vollenberg-Jenkins

Zena Vollenberg-Jenkins
Local time: 23:12
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 24, 2013

I have been using Wordfast Pro for some time now and have been happy with it. Today, however, after I had been working for several hours with no problems, typing suddenly became extremely slow. By this I mean that I was typing at normal speed but Wordfast was very slow to respond. Shutting down the application and restarting did not help.

After reading advice given on this forum for similar problems, I ended up completely uninstalling and resintalling the latest version of Wordfast Pro. Alas, to no avail.

I use a Mac with OS X and through the Activity Monitor can see that Wordfast is using up to 97% of CPU while I am typing or when moving to the next segment. I do not have Machine Translation enabled. The document is not particularly big - around 650 TUs.

What is causing Wordfast to require so much CPU and how can I fix this? Just about to throw everything out of the window in frustration!

Sone-Ngole Alvin Ngole  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:12
English to French
+ ...
Have you tried working on another document Oct 24, 2013

Hello Zena,

In order to be certain that WFP is the problem, open another document (may be one of your old projects) and see if the result is the same.

What is the size and format of the the file? 650 TUs may not reflect the actual weight of the file in some cases (file full of images, etc.).

Regards
Alvin

Zena Vollenberg-Jenkins
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved, but still curious to know why... Oct 24, 2013

Alvin,

Thanks for your suggestion! In the meantime and out of pure desperation I had already made a new document of the remaining text to be translated and this I was able to work on without any problems. So it seems there was something in the original file that was causing the problem. However, it was just a normal .docx file, 228 KB (all the photos had already been removed). Any idea what it could have been?

Kind regards,
Zena

John Daniel
Local time: 15:12
Mavericks? Oct 24, 2013

Did you upgrade to OSX Mavericks?

Zena Vollenberg-Jenkins
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mavericks - not yet Oct 25, 2013

No, not upgraded yet.

John Daniel
Local time: 15:12
Send to WF Support? Oct 25, 2013

Can you send the original document to WFP Support?

Zena Vollenberg-Jenkins
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to contact WFP support Oct 29, 2013

Hello,

I have asked but not yet obtained permission from the client to send the file on to Wordfast support. In the meantime I have had a quick look for an e-mail address but have failed to find one. Could you please let me know the address to which I can send the file once I have permission? Thanks in advance.

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:12
Contacting Wordfast Support Oct 29, 2013

Zena Vollenberg-Jenkins wrote:

Hello,

I have asked but not yet obtained permission from the client to send the file on to Wordfast support. In the meantime I have had a quick look for an e-mail address but have failed to find one. Could you please let me know the address to which I can send the file once I have permission? Thanks in advance.

Hi Zena,

As a license holder you are entitled to free support. You can access the support hotline by logging in here - http://www.wordfast.net/?whichpage=aftersale

However, in this case, please send the files directly to support at wordfast dot com and we will look at them right away.

Sincerely,

Kristyna

mohaaa2020  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
Change Font Nov 8, 2013

Dear All,

I am a freelance English < > Arabic translator and I faced the same problem over the last couple of months but I finally managed to resolve it. Please do the following;

1. Open Wordfast
2. Go to Edit > Preferences > Colors and Fonts
3. Change the font of Txml Editor into Times New Roman.
4. Click Apply (you will notice that font has changed)

The whole issue happens because of the Verdana font. You can change it to your favorite font.

Please try this solution and let me know what you think.

Have a nice day.

Regards,
Ahmed Salem
www.egytrans.net

Zena Vollenberg-Jenkins
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Nov 8, 2013

Hello Ahmed,

Thank you for taking the trouble to pass on this tip. I sent the document that was causing the problems to the Wordfast help desk at their request but have not yet heard back. I will certainly try this if I encounter the problem again.

Kind regards,
Zena Vollenberg

-me too Nov 9, 2013

I have been experiencing the same issues as anybody else in this thread.
I am using Mac OS X 10.9 (Maverick) and WF Pro 3.2.2.

The software itself takes a whole minute to load. A minute! No other program is that slow, not even Trados that I run on VMware and counting the time to load the virtual environment.

There are some files that I was unable to open with WF Pro on my Mac, asked the translation agency to look into it and they were okay. Turned out that if I load them on WF Pro on Windows they work flawlessy.

On Mac it kept idling "initaliting space" and then said to contact admin.

Sometimes rebooting the whole system does the trick.

Tried to e-mail the log to WF support together with one of such files, and the log is 18 MB, I can't send the mail. I am getting really frustrated and considering moving back to WF Pro for Windows.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro using up to 97% of CPU (and painfully slow)

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search