Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:57
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 28, 2013

Hello
I've tried the new function to get bilingual unclenaed files, I translated the file in WFP, then I saved it as WFC without placeholders.
Now, everything is ok, except the tables which lost their formatting. Instead of tables, I got a series of numbers/words which were in the table cells.

Has anybody found this?

Thanks
Lucia

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:57
Finnish to French
Purpose of bilingual WFC files Oct 28, 2013

You may have false expectations about the bilingual WFC files that WFP lets you create. Their purpose is not to retain the layout of the original file imported in WFP (remember it could be any file format supported by WFP, not just a Word document). Their main purpose is to allow WFC users (and why not Trados Workbench users too) to update their TM's (by way of cleaning up the bilingual file).

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No chance to translate bilingual files? Oct 30, 2013

I mean opening a bilingual file in WFP, working on the file as txml and then "save as" the bilingual file to get a translated bilingual uncleaned file keeping all formatting.

Then, you need to
- open the original (not segmented) file,
- translate it as txml,
- "save as" WFC bilingual file,
- create a TM and
- open again the source original untranslated file, and
- translate it again with the newly created TM to get a formatted uncleaned file.

Or, you need to create an uncleaned bilingual file using WFC, open it in WFP and work on the txml file, then "save translated file" to get a perfect unclenaed bilingual formatted file.

Sounds really complicated....

Finnish to French
WFP can't really translate bilingual Word documents Oct 30, 2013

If you need to translate a Word document and deliver your translation as a bilingual ("uncleaned") Word document keeping the full original layout, WFP can't really do it, you need to use WFC.

SDL Trados Studio 2011/2014 can do this: you can import a presegmented Word document into Studio, translate it in Studio and export the translated document as a bilingual ("uncleaned") Word document that retain the full layout. As I said, WFP can't do it. But SDL has abandoned their legacy version (Trados Translator's Workbench), while Wordfast is keeping its Classic version alive.

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No way to work on a Mac without Parallel.... Oct 30, 2013

or similar tools, if you need to work anyway on a Trados or DéjàVu CAT.....

Finnish to French
Wordfast Classic works on Mac Oct 30, 2013

lucy18 wrote:
or similar tools, if you need to work anyway on a Trados or DéjàVu CAT.....

Sure, but if you are a Wordfast user, why not use Classic on your Mac? It does work fine with Word 2011, see:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/cat-tools/2012/02/05/translating-with-wordfast-classic-6-in-word-2011-on-a-mac/

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good question! Oct 30, 2013

So, I might work on bilingual pre-segmented (by WFC) documents and open them in WFP?
In some cases I think working with WFP is better. I've been using WFC for many years and when WFP started I was not happy about it. But now, after years, I think it is a good tool, of course according to my needs and my experience.

It would be intersting to start a topic about PROs and CONs of WFP and WFC, a good platform for developers to see what needs to be improved or implemented.

Have a nice day
Lucia

John Daniel
Local time: 01:57
Start with WFC Oct 30, 2013

Segment the files in WFC. Then go to WFP, open Preferences > Filters > Formats > select Doc or DocX and uncheck Ignore Bilingual Styles checkbox. Now open the segmented WFC file in WFP, you can continue translation and Save Translated back to WFC file using File > Save Translated File

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your tip! Oct 31, 2013

It seems a good solution, except that I don't find the filter for docx. I've the latest version 3.2.2.
I've two default word filters, one Default Word 2007 and one Default Word. Is it the same for you, too?

Thanks
Lucia

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I got it! Oct 31, 2013

I found the Word filter for docx: it's in the Word 2007 and 2010 filter. I could only view 2007.

I tried it and it works also with Trados 2007 segmented files.....

Thnaks a lot
Lucia

Italy
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Segmentation rules in WFP Nov 27, 2013

The whole system to work on trados Workbench segmented and pre-translated files is perfect. Except I'm experiencing problems related to:
1) segmentation. It seems WFP segmentation is different form trado segmentation rules so I've an higher/lower number of segments and when I go back to the uncleaned trados-style translated file (I had saves as translated file in WFP) target segments might not match the source segments.

2) Quite often I get an error from Trados WB stating there is a missing or damaged tag. It seems there is no missing or damaged tag, but this prevents me to go on and the file cannot be cleaned up.

Is there anybody who can help me?

Thanks
Lucia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast PRO and bilingual WFC files

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search