How do I become more productive with WF Pro?
Thread poster: Edward Potter

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 4, 2013

I'm still fairly new to WF Pro but I am finding its use much slower than WF Classic.

Some of my questions for TXML files are:

1. How do I get the spell checker to underline errors without clicking in the target cell?

2. For spell checking in Word I right click on the misspelled word then suggestions pop up. How can I do something like this in WF Pro?

3. How can I look at the entire document as it would look in Word, then make changes to it?

4. How is a TXML file created from a Word document? Why is this format better?

5. Once I finish typing my translation in the target column, what do I do to get it back into Word format with only my translation showing?

6. What is a quick way to get codes from the source column to the target column? I'm using Alt-Insert, then deleting the unwanted text around the code - which is quite slow.

I'll probably have more questions later. But these are some basic ones I have. Thanks inadvance to anyone who can help.

Direct link Reply with quote

John Daniel
Local time: 04:12
Hope this helps... Nov 4, 2013

1. How do I get the spell checker to underline errors without clicking in the target cell?

Edit > Preferences > Spelling > Check 'Spell check as you type'

2. For spell checking in Word I right click on the misspelled word then suggestions pop up. How can I do something like this in WF Pro?

Same right click on the mis-spelled word and suggestion should be at the top or bottom depends on the WF version you have. 3.2 and above should have suggestions on top of right click Context Menu.

3. How can I look at the entire document as it would look in Word, then make changes to it?

Shortcut is F7. You can find icon abc with tick mark on toolbar menu or from Edit menu Spell Check option.

5. Once I finish typing my translation in the target column, what do I do to get it back into Word format with only my translation showing?

You have to do File > Save Translated File or Ctrl+Alt+S. If you have not completed your translation you can do Preview by Window > Show View > Preview in MS Word

6. What is a quick way to get codes from the source column to the target column? I'm using Alt-Insert, then deleting the unwanted text around the code - which is quite slow.

If by Code you mean tags {ut1} {ut2} etc., you can use menu Edit > Tags and it has multiple options to copy them. Play around with the shortcut you find useful by having the cursor in Target Column.

You can also try Text View in WF Pro instead of the default Table view in TXML Editor. Text View is similar to view in WFC

xxxnrichy
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Same here Nov 4, 2013

Edward Potter wrote:

I don't know how it is created, but you have to bear in mind that you convert from Word into TXML and after translation you'll have to backconvert into Word. Pro is a standalone version and this process does not use Word anymore, so all Word versions can be used without you having to update from 2003 to 2007 or 2010, etc. For heavily formatted Word documents the results are better than with WF Cl (no glitches in formatting).

I do too. Do you have the shortcuts in your fingers, especially Ctrl+Shift+left arrow and right arrow?

My main problem was the lack of interoperability for glossaries between Cl and Pro, and because neither Cl neither Pro were entirely satisfactory for different file formats. I do a lot of PPT and InDesign. I updated to Studio, and just kept Cl in case someone asks me for a bilingual Word file.

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
I am afraid, you can't... Nov 4, 2013

Edward Potter wrote:

One of my main clients sends me tons of TXMLs, and working with them was always counterproductive. Wordfast is extremely slow and lacks many useful features.

[Edited at 2013-11-05 13:48 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Edward Nov 4, 2013

Edward Potter wrote:
I'm still fairly new to WF Pro but I am finding its use much slower than WF Classic.

So do I. But... why do you find it slower?

Well, you can create the target file, but if you make changes to it, then those changes won't be reflected in Wordfast, because you edited the final file instead of the intermediary file.

It is a single intermediary format for all input formats.

Nicolas Roussel  Identity Verified
Philippines
Local time: 18:12
Member (2011)
English to French
Notepad+ makes Searches easier Nov 5, 2013

For global Find and replace or Search functions, I recommend using Notepad+ software and the Search in files function. It will update directly in your txml files, but not in the TM. I find it very useful if you realize after translating many files that you mistranslated one word or did not follow the glossary.

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
Finnish to French
Preview Nov 5, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

Well, you can create the target file, but if you make changes to it, then those changes won't be reflected in Wordfast, because you edited the final file instead of the intermediary file.

You can also use the preview function to look at the document in Word, and make any changes you want in Wordfast.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search