Thread poster: Kaya Green
Kaya Green
Kaya Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
German to English
Nov 4, 2013

Me again
Managed with Dominique's help to get my xliff files downloaded from Wordfast Anywhere. Now I need bilingual Word docs also, but when I download and then open them (I have to say this is with Open Office, not Word) there is only the target language.

I have tried what was suggested in another thread (tick 'hidden text') but that makes no difference.

The source file format was xliff and I do
... See more
Me again
Managed with Dominique's help to get my xliff files downloaded from Wordfast Anywhere. Now I need bilingual Word docs also, but when I download and then open them (I have to say this is with Open Office, not Word) there is only the target language.

I have tried what was suggested in another thread (tick 'hidden text') but that makes no difference.

The source file format was xliff and I don't have them in any other source format.

If this is a Word/OO issue I accept that and will mark it as 'another reason to finally shell out for Word', but perhaps there is something I can do with WFA to remedy this first?!

Thanks!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You can… Nov 5, 2013

…get a bilingual Word document only when your source document is a Word DOC or DOCX document (and, perhaps, RTF, but I never translated this format). And you can’t get a bilingual file from any other source format including XLIFF.

[Edited at 2013-11-05 09:17 GMT]

Kaya Green
Kaya Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:41
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 5, 2013

That clears it up!

"...And you can’t get a bilingual file from any other source format including XLIFF."

Not sure if I understood you, but I did get bilingual files in XLIFF, TXT and TXML formats.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:41
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I meant Nov 5, 2013

Kaya Green wrote:

Not sure if I understood you, but I did get bilingual files in XLIFF, TXT and TXML formats.

…a bilingual Word file. Sorry. You’re right: other bilingual formats are supported.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFA only downloading target language in Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »