Elina Green  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:16
Member (2013)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 8, 2013

Dear Colleagues,

I translated a MS Word file in Wordfast,then saved it on the memory stick (in Wordfast) and used it on a different computer.
Now when I copied it from the memory stick back to the original computer and tried to preview it in a Word format, it looks like a table with placeables and the lines are numbered.

How do I convert it back to the layout of a source document?

Thank you.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:16
French to English
+ ...
Cleaned / uncleaned? Nov 8, 2013

Elina, you didn't make it clear whether this corrupted 'table' presentation is showing you ONLY the target text, or if it also has the source text mixed in? I suspect if the latter is the case, you may have forgotten to clean your document before exporting it.

What sort of manipulations did you do to it on your 'other' computer? It sounds on the face of it as if some kind of auto-formatting has been applied, you might do a well to go back to the other computer and see what it looks like there?

Note I have experienced not dissimilar problems with Word docs (NOT Wordfast!) when going through OpenOffice: the mere fact of opening and closing the Word document in OpenOffice (without actually editing it at all) was enough to corrupt the original file

It might also help if you told us what OS you are using, and which versions of Word and Wordfast?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Preview versus pre.........view Nov 8, 2013

Elina Green wrote:
Now when I ... tried to preview it in a Word format, it looks like a table with placeables and the lines are numbered. How do I convert it back to the layout of a source document?

Assuming you're using Wordfast Pro:

The menu route Window > Show View > Preview in MS Word will render a preview of the target text in an MS Word table. That is what's supposed to happen. It sounds to me like what you're looking for is not a preview but a pre-view, so you'd have to use File > Save Translated File.

[Edited at 2013-11-08 08:34 GMT]

Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Preview as a "clean" file only works if you created the txml from a Word file Nov 8, 2013

If you created the txml file from a Word file or PDF file (because Wordfast turns PDFs into rtf files), that is, you opened a Word file or PDF in Wordfast and created the txml then when you "Preview" the file you will see how it will look in Word.

If you got the txml sent to you or if you opened one of the other file formats that Wordfast can handle (excel, powerpoint, etc) then when you hit "Preview" you will see a table layout (which is quite good for spell checking as the spell check in Word works better than the one in Wordfast and as the segments are numbered you can quickly find the mistake in the txml file). In these cases you can only see the clean file after you "Save Translated File" like Samuel said, however if you were sent the txml and did not create it yourself then you will get an error telling you Wordfast can't find the source file, in which case if the client sent you the original file used to create the txml you can use Wordfast to locate it inside your computer and try to get a clean file, though this sometimes gives formatting errors.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Word preview looks like a table

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search