How to add words to the dictionary permanently
Thread poster: pcs_MCIL
Nov 12, 2013

I am using WF Pro on a Mac (OS 10.9) and I am using Hunspell. There are certain recurring terms in my target language (Italian) that are not in the dictionary; they are mostly IT-related, such as Facebook, Twitter, iOS, iPad, iPhone, social network, etc.

At the moment I have the option to Ignore, Ignore All, Add to dictionary, but even if I click on "Add to dictionary", on a different file/project that given terms keeps coming up during spell check.

Is there a way to add words to the Hunspell dictionary once and for all?

[Edited at 2013-11-12 09:23 GMT]

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:10
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Sure Nov 12, 2013

Hunspell dictionaries are just plain-text files. Thus, simply find the respective file (for Italian, it should be it_IT.dic), that is either in the Wordfast installation directory, or in the user settings directory (I’m not totally sure where), and simply edit it with a text editor. And if you understand the basics of the Hunspell syntax, you can add words with the respective paradigms (declensions, conjugations).

[Edited at 2013-11-12 12:58 GMT]

John Daniel
Local time: 12:10
Hidden workspace folder Nov 12, 2013

Go to Users/[username] find .wf_workspace folder. This is a hidden folder you need to do the steps here to view the folder http://www.codejacked.com/osx-finder-hidden-files/

Inside .wf_workspace/hunspell/personal folder you will see [languagecode].personal file. This file can be viewed using text editor and contains the add to dictionary contents.

When you add a word for a particular language in WFP this file should get updated. Can you check if this file is getting updated when you do Add to Dictionary from WFP.

Thank you,

John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to add words to the dictionary permanently

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search