Problems with Wordfast Pro under Mavericks
Thread poster: Paul Reeve

Paul Reeve  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Nov 16, 2013

I somewhat recklessly upgraded to Mavericks without thinking about effects on Wordfast. Just sent the Wordfast folks a note with a short list of ways that Wordfast Pro (3.2.2) now seems to be broken for me as a result. Chances are there are a good number more, there are lots of functions I'm not using! Will serve as a warning to anyone who's tempted to do the upgrade, at least. Here's the list I sent:

1) The Browse button in the Create TM window has no visible effect.
2) In order to "Save translated file" I actually have to open the file, quit Wordfast, and relaunch the program.
3) I can only open one file per launch of Wordfast. Further attempts to open the file (either using the dropdown menu or the hotkey) have no visible effect.
4) All dialogs that interface with the file system (Open file, Save translated file, etc.) open to an indefinite "loading" wheel beside the "New folder" button at the bottom left of the window and show nothing in the main display area (the folder icon in the dropdown menu at the top has no text beside it, choosing one of the "Recent places" has no effect), until I select a location using the navigation sidebar.
5) A popup error, on every launch (I think, but am not sure, that this happened with the Mavericks install): "An error has occurred. See error log for more details.
java.lang.NullPointerException"
6) The "About Wordfast" command in the Wordfast menu has no visible effect.

Anybody have anything to add?
Take care everybody.

(Edited to specify in the topic that the problems are with Pro)

[Edited at 2013-11-16 10:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

David Daduč
Czech Republic
Local time: 16:36
English to Czech
Try shrinking browse dialogues Nov 16, 2013

Here is what I wrote to the WFP discussion list about the WFP on Mavericks problem yesterday:

If you suffer the problems (the File Open or Save As dialogues not opening​​, or even WFP crashing)​​, please try the following: quit WFP and launch it afresh. Go to the Translation Memory menu and click New/Select TM. Click Create TM. ​​Do you see the large dialogue box that displays folders, the search field, etc? I suppose you do. If so, note if you see a small icon running in circles next to the New Folder button (in the bottom left corner). If so, click any existing folder listed on the left-hand side (among Favourites, for example), such as Desktop. That should stop the spinning icon. When this is done, click the small "arrow up" icon next to the Save As field at the top of the dialogue. The dialogue will shrink. Cancel the dialogue now. Cancel the Create TM​​ dialogue. Cancel the TM management window to get back into the main WFP window. Quit WFP and launch it again.

When this is done, open documents to translate by drag-and-dropping them into WFP (or, for recently used documents, by clicking their name straight in the File menu). When saving a file, never click the "arrow-down" button next to the file name field, i.e. avoid expanding the dialogue; instead either save the file in the default directory, or type in the path manually. When you follow these rules, is the problem gone or at least significantly alleviated? Of course, not being able to navigate through folders when open or save documents is a nuisance - but if it turns out this actually fixes (part of) the problem, it would be great to know and I hope it would help the developers fix the problem.

I'm adding two screenshots. The first one shows the large (expanded) dialogue with the spinning icon at the bottom and the "arrow-up" button at the top. The second one shows the small (shrunk) dialogue with the "arrow-down" button you should avoid clicking (because expanded dialogues seem to be causing trouble).

A Mavericks user replied it helped him. If you try this, let us know if it helped you as well.

Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Upgrade or downgrade? Nov 16, 2013

Hi Paul,
A good friend of mine upgraded her brand new Apple laptop and everything just went down the drain. She just couldn't work anymore. Got the device to Apple. Couldn't do anything. Told her to buy a new one!!!
Best of luck!
Cheers,
Chris

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Phew: not that bad Nov 16, 2013

Things aren't quite that bad on my end, thankfully. My laptop is a couple of years old (mid-2011) and in general things have been working just fine. Even Wordfast is functional, it's just a bit fussy now with these issues.

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:36
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Nope Nov 16, 2013

Christophe Delaunay wrote:
Told her to buy a new one!!!

This cannot be true.

Hans

Einar Gjelten  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2009)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Additional problem Nov 19, 2013

I also upgraded to Mavericks without thinking it through, and have experienced a few of the above mentioned problems. In addition, when I change my selection of active TM, other TMs appear to select themselves, making it impossible to select only the one TM i want to work with. Hugely frustrating.

David Tracey, PhD
Switzerland
Member (2009)
German to English
WFP on Mavericks: Nov 23, 2013

David Daduč wrote:

Here is what I wrote to the WFP discussion list about the WFP on Mavericks problem yesterday:

If you suffer the problems (the File Open or Save As dialogues not opening​​, or even WFP crashing)​​, please try the following: quit WFP and launch it afresh. Go to the Translation Memory menu and click New/Select TM. Click Create TM. ​​Do you see the large dialogue box that displays folders, the search field, etc? I suppose you do. If so, note if you see a small icon running in circles next to the New Folder button (in the bottom left corner). If so, click any existing folder listed on the left-hand side (among Favourites, for example), such as Desktop. That should stop the spinning icon. When this is done, click the small "arrow up" icon next to the Save As field at the top of the dialogue. The dialogue will shrink. Cancel the dialogue now. Cancel the Create TM​​ dialogue. Cancel the TM management window to get back into the main WFP window. Quit WFP and launch it again.

When this is done, open documents to translate by drag-and-dropping them into WFP (or, for recently used documents, by clicking their name straight in the File menu). When saving a file, never click the "arrow-down" button next to the file name field, i.e. avoid expanding the dialogue; instead either save the file in the default directory, or type in the path manually. When you follow these rules, is the problem gone or at least significantly alleviated? Of course, not being able to navigate through folders when open or save documents is a nuisance - but if it turns out this actually fixes (part of) the problem, it would be great to know and I hope it would help the developers fix the problem.

I'm adding two screenshots. The first one shows the large (expanded) dialogue with the spinning icon at the bottom and the "arrow-up" button at the top. The second one shows the small (shrunk) dialogue with the "arrow-down" button you should avoid clicking (because expanded dialogues seem to be causing trouble).

A Mavericks user replied it helped him. If you try this, let us know if it helped you as well.

David Tracey, PhD
Switzerland
Member (2009)
German to English
David Daduč's solution to this problem helped me too. Many thanks, David Nov 23, 2013

David Daduč wrote:

Robert Chroscicki  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:36
Italian to English
Any news? Dec 2, 2013

Any news of an update to actually solve the Mavericks compatibility problems?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:36
Finnish to French
Mavericks issues should be fixed in latest WFP 3.3 release candidate Dec 2, 2013

Robert Chroscicki wrote:
Any news of an update to actually solve the Mavericks compatibility problems?

Here is the list of features and bug fixes in Wordfast Pro 3.3 Release Candidate 7 (which came out today):

· Fixed Mac Mavericks Issues
· Asian and RTL project default TXML editor font set based on the target language.
· TM Lookup column tooltip shows custom attributes
· TM Lookup column can be sorted by ID column
· Fixed Google and Microsoft MT connection issues
· Fixed TM Lookup Auto Leverage action
· Fixed Excel filter issues with converting date/time, filter does not extract dates

You may want to join the WFP beta list. If so, you need to apply and wait until your request to join has been approved.

Kristyna Marrero  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:36
WFP 3.3 Coming Soon Dec 2, 2013

Hi All,

Wordfast Pro 3.3, which will be released very shortly, will resolve the Mavericks issue. If you wish to use the beta version of 3.3 before it is publicly available you can join the Wordfast Pro beta group here - http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/WFPRO_Beta/info
or contact me directly at kmarrero@wordfast.com

Sincerely,

Kristyna

David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Yes, next update will fix it Dec 6, 2013

Kristyna Marrero wrote:

Wordfast Pro 3.3, which will be released very shortly, will resolve the Mavericks issue.

I tested the pre-release beta version and I can confirm I can open any browse dialogue in Wordfast Pro 3.3 under Mavericks without it freezing.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Copying & Cutting with hotkeys in Text view broken Dec 6, 2013

Installed the 3.3 release candidate, which does seem to have fixed a number of problems, thanks.

But one persistent problem in both versions seems to be that copying and cutting with hotkeys (command-C or command-V) in Text view fails to work on almost all attempts (doing it through the menu causes no problems). Once in a while it works, mostly doesn't. I am not having this problem in any other application, nor (I just discovered through a quick test now) in Table view. Anybody else having this issue?
Thanks.

John Daniel
Local time: 08:36
Not reproducible Dec 6, 2013

Hey Paul I am not able to reproduce the cut & copy issues that you are having. Can you add more steps on from where you have copied the content and where do you want to paste it with shortcut etc.,

Anyone having same issues with WFP?

Thank you,

John

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with Wordfast Pro under Mavericks

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search