Thread poster: mleach
mleach
mleach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:55
French to English
Nov 25, 2013

Hi there,

I'm considering using WF Pro to translate a website's content. I've searched for advice on how to do this here and elsewhere but haven't found any. Here's what I've tried so far as a test:

- I've saved one of the website's pages as a html file, then uploaded this into WF.
- I've translated half of the source and copied the rest of the source over into the target.
- I've clicked on "Save Translated File" and saved the file
- But when I open th
... See more
Hi there,

I'm considering using WF Pro to translate a website's content. I've searched for advice on how to do this here and elsewhere but haven't found any. Here's what I've tried so far as a test:

- I've saved one of the website's pages as a html file, then uploaded this into WF.
- I've translated half of the source and copied the rest of the source over into the target.
- But when I open the saved file it is the same source content as the original file

What am I doing wrong? Would it be best to cut and paste the content in the html file into a Word document, upload this to WF Pro, save the content as a Word file and have the client upload the content to their site? Seems like a complicated way of doing things and I'm sure there must be an easier way.

I'm using WF Pro 3.2.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Best,

Mark
Collapse

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Not sure Nov 25, 2013

I am not quite sure, but want to make a first step:
I do not think that you can work on html files with Wordfast.
In my opinion you'll need Trados tag editor or Notepad++.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:55
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Translating websites Nov 25, 2013

I usually ask clients to provide me with the text to be translated and have their webmaster upload the translation. Websites are complex creatures, some of the text to be translated can be obscured in javascripts, alt texts, etc., while other text such as function calls must not be translated, and it may not be at all obvious to a CAT tool what to translate and what to leave alone. Besides if the site is run by a content management system such as Wordpress, the HTML you see in the source code h... See more
I usually ask clients to provide me with the text to be translated and have their webmaster upload the translation. Websites are complex creatures, some of the text to be translated can be obscured in javascripts, alt texts, etc., while other text such as function calls must not be translated, and it may not be at all obvious to a CAT tool what to translate and what to leave alone. Besides if the site is run by a content management system such as Wordpress, the HTML you see in the source code has very little similarity with the site as it is on the server.

[Edited at 2013-11-25 20:03 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
You're doing it right, it seems Nov 25, 2013

mleach wrote:

The best way to do a web site translation is to ask the client to send the HTML files to you, so that you know for certain that you have the latest version and that your browser did not alter the HTML file when you saved it yourself. But yes, you should open the HTML file in Wordfast Pro (WFP), which will convert it to a TXML file.

It is not necessary to copy source-to-target for segments that you want to stay the same. WFP will simply keep those segments untranslated.

- But when I open the saved file it is the same source content as the original file

You followed the right procedure, but... could it be that the content you translated is part of the hidden content of the HTML file? HTML files often contain hidden content that is not visible in the web browser. Try translating a few segments towards the end of the HTML file (in WFP) and recreate the HTML file again.

Would it be best to cut and paste the content in the html file into a Word document...

Absolutely not. That is the worst thing you can do. Do not convert the HTML to MS Word and then translate the MS Word file.

Or, do you mean that you want to copy/paste the HTML code itself into MS Word and then translate the Word file? You can do that, but then WFP will show you the raw code and not only the translatable content, because WFP will not know that it is HTML and will treat it as if it is just text.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Capesha Nov 25, 2013

Capesha wrote:
I do not think that you can work on HTML files with Wordfast.

You can.

In my opinion you'll need Trados tag editor or Notepad++.

You can also translate HTML in Trados TagEditor (which will display only the translatable text for you to translate, so you can't break the code) and you can do it in Notepad++ or any other text editor (which will not separate the translatable text from the code, which means you have to be careful not to break the code). But you can translate HTML files freely in Wordfast Pro as well.

mleach
Germany
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Translation now in the saved HTML document - but text in images? Nov 26, 2013

@Samuel Murray: thanks for your tips! I did what you suggested and translated some of the content lower down the txml file, saved it first and then saved the translated document. When I opened the saved HTML file my translation appeared in the web page. Thanks!

@Samuel Murray and @John Fossey: so just to be clear, the steps to follow when translating a website using WFP are as follows:

1. Ask the client to send you the html files for the pages of their sit
... See more
@Samuel Murray: thanks for your tips! I did what you suggested and translated some of the content lower down the txml file, saved it first and then saved the translated document. When I opened the saved HTML file my translation appeared in the web page. Thanks!

@Samuel Murray and @John Fossey: so just to be clear, the steps to follow when translating a website using WFP are as follows:

1. Ask the client to send you the html files for the pages of their site they want you to translate.
2. Translate these in WFP and save them as html files.
3. Return the translated html files to the client and they upload them to their server.

However content within images (the text can't be copied/pasted) has not been picked up by WFP.

How do you usually handle this? Is it best to ask the client to send you the text that sits in these images in some kind of bilingual file? Or is there a more sophisticated way of handling this?

Thanks again for your help - it is much appreciated.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Translating images Nov 26, 2013

mleach wrote:
However content within images (the text can't be copied/pasted) has not been picked up by WFP.

Nope. You have to retype the text into e.g. an MS Word file, and translate that in WFP. Make sure the client knows which translation belongs to which source text segment. The client will/must then give the text to his graphic designer, who will recreate the images and send them back to you for final approval. But... first ask the client if he really wants you to translate the images.

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Not exactly Nov 26, 2013

mleach wrote:

so just to be clear, the steps to follow when translating a website using WFP are as follows:

1. Ask the client to send you the html files for the pages of their site they want you to translate.
2. Translate these in WFP and save them as html files.
3. Return the translated html files to the client and they upload them to their server.

The steps are:
1. Ask the client to send you the files for the pages to be translated. In most cases nowadays: an output of the CMS in Word, Excel or txt. Explanation: static html is less and less used.
2. Translate these in WFP (or whatever) and save them in the same format
3. Return to the client. His webmaster will upload them in his system.

If you retrieve yourself the pages from the web, there is a big risk that the webmaster cannot use your translation, or will have lots of work.

Karin Seelhof
Karin Seelhof  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Samuel Nov 26, 2013

Thanks for this explanation. I am working with Wordfast, Trados and memoQ and I really had been convinced that html files could not be handled with Wordfast. When I have some free time, I will check it out.

mleach
Germany
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Word/Excel/txt formats: how to preview web page? Nov 26, 2013

@nrichy: thanks for your advice.

The only issue I can see with importing Word/Excel or .txt into WF Pro is I won't be able to preview the html pages to check for formatting. For example does the content fit within the space allocated on the page. So I suppose it adds extra time to the job as the client needs to check the translated content looks ok and, if not, return it to me in Word/Excel or .txt format?

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
No Nov 26, 2013

mleach wrote:

@nrichy: thanks for your advice.

The only issue I can see with importing Word/Excel or .txt into WF Pro is I won't be able to preview the html pages to check for formatting. For example does the content fit within the space allocated on the page. So I suppose it adds extra time to the job as the client needs to check the translated content looks ok and, if not, return it to me in Word/Excel or .txt format?

Sometimes the client will ask you to verify the website directly on the web. For 2 pages, no problem. If it's big, it's certainly an additional service and should be charged accordingly. Sometimes strange issues occur, such as "Home" which can mean landing page, but also, in the context of houses, a home.

[Edited at 2013-11-26 13:35 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
HTML or not, ask the client Nov 26, 2013

nrichy wrote:
Ask the client to send you the files for the pages to be translated. In most cases nowadays: an output of the CMS in Word, Excel or txt. Explanation: static html is less and less used.

Well, whatever the format is that the client believes is the format that you should do the translation in. The webmaster should be able to tell. Some web sites still use HTML, but others use a CMS system in which the content can be exported to a text format or an XML format and then imported again.

I had to translate content for a client whose web site used a CMS system that was untranslatable (the web designer never thought of that) and so the translations ended up having to be in MS Word and the client had to copy/paste and format everything via the CMS system's WYSIWIG form.

Capesha wrote:
I am working with Wordfast, Trados and memoQ and I really had been convinced that html files could not be handled with Wordfast. When I have some free time, I will check it out.

You had me worried there, but I clicked the WFP icon on my desktop, dragged and dropped this very page onto WFP, and WFP created a TXML file automatically. I translated something, saved it, and created the translated file, which displayed perfectly in the browser.

[Edited at 2013-11-26 13:47 GMT]

nrichy (X)
nrichy (X)
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Oh, I can believe that Nov 26, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

I had to translate content for a client whose web site used a CMS system that was untranslatable (the web designer never thought of that) and so the translations ended up having to be in MS Word and the client had to copy/paste and format everything via the CMS system's WYSIWIG form.

Webdesigners often do not know how translators proceed. Six years ago, I worked on a special brand of tourist sites and as there was no translation service provided (home-made CMS), the translation was a copy of the original site, and the French text had to be translated directly in it. I got a password and replaced the French texts by Dutch texts. Tens of thousands of small windows, to be opened and closed and confirmed, each one containing 6-10 words (and I could not go back to an earlier segment). Booooring. The client could have saved half the translation price if the possibility to export and re-import were part of the package. Now when I hear "just type into the other language", I suggest the client to look for administrative assistant on a temporary basis.

[Edited at 2013-11-26 14:04 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help on using WF Pro to translate website content

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »