Thread poster: Carla Rocca

Carla Rocca
Argentina
Local time: 20:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 26, 2013

Hi everyone,

I am using wordfast pro 2.1 and my client sent me a text to be translated together with a TM. When I tried to open my TM there appeared a window saying: TM invalid. Could that be because my client is using wordfast pro 3.1.5? Is Wordfast Pro 2.1 compatible with WF 3.1.5?

Thanks,
Carla

[Edited at 2013-11-26 22:50 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:52
Finnish to French
Wordfast TM format Nov 27, 2013

Carlarocca wrote:
I am using wordfast pro 2.1

Why on earth are you using such an old version? Either you have a valid license and you'd be entitled to upgrade to the current version (3.2.2) at no cost, or you don't have one and it shouldn't matter which version you'd be using (2.1 or 3.2): it would be running in demo mode anyway.
[quote]Carlarocca wrote:
and my client sent me a text to be translated together with a TM. When I tried to open my TM there appeared a window saying: TM invalid. Could that be because my client is using wordfast pro 3.1.5? Is Wordfast Pro 2.1 compatible with WF 3.1.5?
[quote]
The Wordfast TM format has remained unchanged since the early 2000's. Create yourself a free Wordfast Anywhere account at www.freetm.com and upload the TM there. You'll then see if your TM is valid or not. Note that you can also use Wordfast Anywhere to translate the file that was sent to you, since it uses the same TXML format as Wordfast Pro. Using Wordfast Anywhere would make much more sense than using Wordfast Pro 2.1.

Carla Rocca
Argentina
Local time: 20:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
wordfast pro Nov 27, 2013

Thank you very much for your reply.

No, I don't have a license. Is it the best option to use wordfast anywhere? Can I do the translations without any problem?

Thanks,
Carla

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:52
Finnish to French
Anywhere more versatile than Pro in demo mode Nov 27, 2013

Carlarocca wrote:
No, I don't have a license. Is it the best option to use wordfast anywhere? Can I do the translations without any problem?

Wordfast Anywhere would appear to be a better option in your situation, since it can use TM's of any size and it will also let you use machine translation if you want (not available in Pro, if in demo mode).

As I said, the internal format used by Anywhere (TXML) is exactly the same as the one used in Pro. If you want to be 100% sure the TXML you translated in Anywhere is compatible with Pro, you can always open it in Pro (demo mode would be sufficient, since no TM needs to be involved) once your translation is finished. If so, do install the current version, there is absolutely no point in using the antiquated version 2.1.

What you do need in order to use Anywhere is a connection to the internet. It doesn't need to be super-fast, though it helps if it is fast and reliable.

The Wordfast wiki has plenty of information to get you started with Anywhere.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

wordfast pro

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search