Thread poster: Srini Venkataraman

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 19:37
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Dec 14, 2013

Recently received a pdf file. When I uploaded the source (TA>EN) was all garbled. Reported back to the agency that the file was not typed in Unicode but ttf, so was getting garbled and sent a screenshot. Tried to convert pdf to word, that too was garbled.So had to do manually in word/do formatting per original etc. 3 days of work totally.
Is there a way to upload this pdf file ( or even a word doc typed in ttf) in wordfast pro 3.2.2?

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:37
Finnish to French
Unicode vs. TTF? Dec 16, 2013

I'm not sure what you refer to when you say "not typed in Unicode but TTF". I take it TTF refers to TrueType fonts. Unicode is about encoding, TTF are types of fonts.

Maybe the built-in PDF converter in Wordfast Pro doesn't support fonts used for Tamil. Have you tried the converted included in Wordfast Anywhere?

Have you ever been able to convert other PDF's with text in Tamil in them?

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 19:37
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no workaround Dec 16, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried WFA too but getting error message "error submitting upload". Unless you know which ttf is used, you cannot try using the online converter to convert to Unicode for portability. I get word/notepad/excel jobs in Unicode and without hassles I am able to do.
I even tried to use acrobat to convert the pdf to word doc, but to no success.
On loading in WFpro 3.2.2, a segment looks like this

* œ³… …ƒ¡šç³Ð Š¨^…¶ |ô¡«ò¶ “èþƒ¥” [¶šÐ “˜Ü|³…|>‡¡Ä” ÇÍÜ ¡„Ä«£… œ³… É›„¤´Ï ɤñ¶ …¦î´£˜\„ƒ |þÎë|ÕÜ _ÿ„\„íঠ˜>‡¨|ô [þÞƒ½§ƒ¨|>‡ ð›òùò£\ËÜ Œ¥

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

pdf uploading in wfp 3.2.2

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search