Thread poster: Maaike van Vlijmen

Maaike van Vlijmen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:12
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 22, 2013

I work with a large TM which was previously used by two other translators. The TM is IT-NL. In the TM, the older entries, those of the previous translators (I am currently the only one using it), appear as it-01 and nl-01. My entries appear as IT and NL.
This has never been a problem and I didn't even notice it, until two days ago the client needed the TM to create an inverted TM (NL-IT) and said these two different language codes were a problem. I created the inverted TM and didn't find a problem with that - but instead had other problems, like "failed to leverage segment", so the project manager tried to fix it with Olifant, but apparently ran into the problem of the two different language codes.
I tried to solve this by using find and replace, changing the it-01 into IT and the nl-01 into NL. I don't know if this is sufficient. Is there something else I should do? I'm not very good with these things..
Many thanks for your help!

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
Finnish to French
Use IT-IT and NL-NL Dec 22, 2013

First of all, IT-01 vs. IT-IT and NL-01 vs. NL-NL will never be a problem if the TM stays within the Wordfast Classic world: both are perfectly valid. The problem most likely arose when the TM was used in a third-party tool like Trados, memoQ, Déjà Vu etc.

If I were you, I would use IT-IT instead of IT, and NL-NL instead of NL. This is because some tools (I think it's the case with SDL Trados Studio) don't accept two-letter languages codes like IT and NL. OTOH, all tools (including Trados) should be happy with IT-IT and NL-NL.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks fo the suggestion Dec 22, 2013

Thanks Dominique, I think you're right. I use Wordfast Pro and I think the project manager uses Trados or something else.
But do you know how I can change all the existing codes in the TM?

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
Finnish to French
Find/replace in text editor Dec 22, 2013

Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:
I use Wordfast Pro and I think the project manager uses Trados or something else.

OK, I thought you were using Wordfast Classic, because language codes that end with -01 usually originate from it. I seem to remember Wordfast Pro had problems dealing with such language codes, but this may have applied to older versions. I'm almost sure SDL Trados Studio does not support short (two-letter) language codes like IT, NL etc.
Maaike van Vlijmen wrote:
But do you know how I can change all the existing codes in the TM?

A Wordfast TM is an ordinary text file, so you could use the find/replace feature of any half-decent text editor. Just don't use Notepad if your TM is largish, as it would be painfully slow. If you have nothing else, you can do it in Word. Otherwise, download the free Notepad++.
In a Wordfast TM, language codes are located between tabs, so in order to be on the safe side you would want to:

find what: ^tIT^t
replace with: ^IT-IT^t

Otherwise you may accidentally replace IT inside segments.

United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks Dec 23, 2013

Thank you so much for your help Dominique!
Merry Christmas!icon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM: one language combination, 2 different codes

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search