Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:10
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 8, 2014

Hello everyone

[I'm sure I asked about this before, but I just googled for it and couldn't find my previous question or answers.]

When I use Ctrl+Alt+down to insert a glossary item, and the glossary/ies contains more than one entry for it, the entries appear as a little dropdown box underneath the cursor. This is what I expect. However, with these particular glossaries (and I don't know why only these) the dropdown box is 1 character wide.

What causes this, and how can I solve it?

Thanks
Samuel

WFP 6.03t, Word 2003, Windows 7

==

Added: I suspect there's something wrong with the style WfPopup, because if I set the zoom to e.g. 75% and make the Word window very, very wide, then the dropdown list appears correctly, but as soon as I make the Word window narrower, the dropdown list starts getting squeezed. It's almost as if the dropdown list thinks that it should wrap at something like 5% of the window width.

Here's the properties of my WfPopup style:

Can you see anything that I might want to change?

==

Added: The style seems fine, but I've noticed something odd with the line indents. The right indentation is always 42.75 cm more than the left indentation. Now, if my window is 15 cm wide, then it makes sense that the line would become squished. The indentation is set by Wordfast at the time that the dropdown list is created, so: how can I tell Wordfast to use a right indentation of zero centimeters?

==

Added: I see Dominique suggests deleting WfPopup so that WFC recreates it, but I tried that and it didn't work. I deleted it from both the current document and from Normal.dot. No luck.

[Edited at 2014-01-08 21:43 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:10
Finnish to French
Some possible solutions Jan 8, 2014

You could try one of the following: 1) switch view from Normal to Print layout, then back (or vice-versa), 2) increase or decrease the zoom % until the box has a normal width.

Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
French to English
+ ...
Common problem Jan 9, 2014

This often happens to me when I'm using a window that's smaller than the entire screen. I find it will readjust correctly if I maximize the window (then provoke a drop down) and then re-size it to the size I want. No idea why this works (or why WFC uses the 1 character drop down).

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Dominique and @Mark Jan 9, 2014

Dominique Pivard wrote:
1) switch view from Normal to Print layout, then back (or vice-versa),
2) increase or decrease the zoom % until the box has a normal width.

#1 didn't work. #2 would mean 75% zoom with an MS Word window of about 1000 pixels wide, making the text not only very hard to read, but also difficult to read since all of a segment would be on one line all the way across the screen.

I also tried recording a macro that would redefine the style every time I used the glossary, but the macro didn't work. The find/replace operation worked, but when I tried to use the recorded macro, it didn't work.

I've now switched to the latest version of WFC, which doesn't have this problem (yet), and which displays not only the source and target text of each glossary item but also the description. I wonder if I can tell the latest WFC to either not show the description, or to show it at a smaller font... since some of my descriptions are rather long.

Mark Hamlen wrote:
This often happens to me when I'm using a window that's smaller than the entire screen. I find it will readjust correctly if I maximize the window (then provoke a drop down) and then re-size it to the size I want. No idea why this works (or why WFC uses the 1 character drop down).

Interesting solution -- I wish I had known about it before I installed the latest version of WFC.

I practically never use any program with a maximised window, and certainly not MS Word. Well, I sometimes maximise poorly designed Excel files. My screen is too big for that, and cascading windows enables me to get a better overview of what's open on my desktop.

[Edited at 2014-01-09 08:28 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WFC, Ctrl+Alt+down: if multiple entries, then drop-down box 1 character wide

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search