Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Local time: 22:53
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Nov 2, 2004

Dear friends,

I did the translation and I got a TXT file which is the TM for the translation I have done. I also got two files with those endings:

.bak
.itx

The .bak should be a security copy "just in case", but what about the ITX?

Can I delete both, since I got a definitive TXT TM?

Thanks
Flavio

Pee Eff (X)
Pee Eff (X)
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TM files Nov 2, 2004

Hi Flavio,
if I remember it right I read somewhere in the Wordfast manual that you can delete those files without any problem - and I have deleted them myself before.

You're right about the .bak file. That's just a copy in case Wordfast (or Word) screws up your .txt file you're working in. The .itx file is (if I remember it right) is used when you share your TM over a LAN.

You may delete both of these files but they will be back as soon as you open your TM (txt f
... See more
Hi Flavio,
if I remember it right I read somewhere in the Wordfast manual that you can delete those files without any problem - and I have deleted them myself before.

You're right about the .bak file. That's just a copy in case Wordfast (or Word) screws up your .txt file you're working in. The .itx file is (if I remember it right) is used when you share your TM over a LAN.

You may delete both of these files but they will be back as soon as you open your TM (txt file) again.

Best,
Patrick
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
safe to delete Nov 2, 2004

Flavio Ferri Benedetti wrote:
.bak
.itx

Hi Flavio,

The .txt file is the memory; the .bak is a security copy of your memory and the .itx, is the index file.

You can safely delete the bak and itx. WF will recreate them if you open the txt again.

Cheers,
Grace.

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
BAK and ITX files serve a purpose Nov 2, 2004

Graciela is right but the BAK file might save you when something goes wrong. Wordfast has to reindex if you throw away the index file. If you have to e-mail your TM, only the TXT file is important.

Regards,
Gerard

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 2, 2004

Wonderful You were all very helpful! Thanks again!

Love,
Flavio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM files (txt, bak, itx?)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »