Wordfast suggests translation for similar segments... but?
Thread poster: Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Local time: 18:56
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Nov 2, 2004

Dear friends,

here I am again. Just wanted to make sure, since it is my first time ever with Wordfast (and I liked it very much, may I add!)

My project was English-Spanish. I started the TM and started working on the file. It was delicious to notice how the program suggested me the translation for very similar segments (ok, I have never used a CAT tool before and I was amazed). Even if translation was not exact, I could quickly edit it and the process was SO fast! BUT,
... See more
Dear friends,

here I am again. Just wanted to make sure, since it is my first time ever with Wordfast (and I liked it very much, may I add!)

My project was English-Spanish. I started the TM and started working on the file. It was delicious to notice how the program suggested me the translation for very similar segments (ok, I have never used a CAT tool before and I was amazed). Even if translation was not exact, I could quickly edit it and the process was SO fast! BUT, as I reached half of it, I realized that (oh dear) I was translating into Italian!

Needless to say, I nervously started again, replacing the target file and starting all over again. I clicked again on the Tools button, created and replaced the TM file (TXT) and started again.

But now the program would not suggest me on segments anymore! The target segments would still have different colours as before (yellow, gray..) but no suggestion, and "percentage" tag would always be "0".

Why did this feature "switch off" when I started again? Was this because I replaced the old TM and started again? I don't think so. But then, I could not find a way to switch that on (if we can use this word!), nor the time to investigate.

Would like to know more about this...

Thanks for your kind attention, dear colleagues

Flavio
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Be methodical from the start Nov 2, 2004

Hi again Flavio,

It's only normal that you can't get Wordfast to work on your first day. Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/ to meet the others.

Ideally you should create a folder for each language pair you're translating in. In each folder you should create three subfolders: Translation Memories, Glossaries and Concordance.

Create a TM for each
... See more
Hi again Flavio,

It's only normal that you can't get Wordfast to work on your first day. Check out http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/ to meet the others.

Ideally you should create a folder for each language pair you're translating in. In each folder you should create three subfolders: Translation Memories, Glossaries and Concordance.

Create a TM for each language pair and save it in the right Translation Memories folder.

When you've created an INI file with settings you like for one language pair you can use Save as to create INI files for your other language pairs. In these INIs you should link to the right TM. Clean up a copy of a segmented file when you have selected the right INI (setup) pointing to the right TM. Reorganise that TM. I'm sure you'll get matches.

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Flavio Ferri-Benedetti
Switzerland
Member (2003)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Nov 3, 2004

Thanks Gerard

Flavio

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast suggests translation for similar segments... but?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »