Thread poster: Hirundo
Hirundo
Hirundo
Local time: 22:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jan 27, 2014

Hello colleagues,

I am confused by the following behaviour.

I am proofreading a translation from another translator using the original, remote TM from the client (= the TM has not been updated yet with her translation).

I want to enter the next translated segment. Its score is 98% and the translation is correct. When I press Alt+Down, Wordfast enters the segment and replaces the new translation from the translator with an old (and wrong) fuzzy match from th
... See more
Hello colleagues,

I am confused by the following behaviour.

I am proofreading a translation from another translator using the original, remote TM from the client (= the TM has not been updated yet with her translation).

I want to enter the next translated segment. Its score is 98% and the translation is correct. When I press Alt+Down, Wordfast enters the segment and replaces the new translation from the translator with an old (and wrong) fuzzy match from the TM. Now its score is 78% and the translation is wrong. How can I disable this undesirable behaviour?

When I proof a file and segments are translated already, I want that Wordfast automatically shows fuzzy matches (if there are any) in the TM Lookup window for my reference. But it may not automatically replace a translation with a fuzzy match when I enter a translated segment. Is that possible?

The option "Perform TM lookup automatically" is disabled.
In Wordfast Pro 3.3.0.

Joachim
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:29
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Joachim Jan 27, 2014

You should do the following:

Edit - Preferences - Translation memory - untick the "Copy source on no match in editor" option

HTH,
Natalia

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Ctl+down arrow Jan 27, 2014

Dear Joachim,
When revising, you should use ctl+down arrow (instead of alt+down) and activate "Perform TM lookup automatically."
This will not leverage the segment you move into and replace anything. However, it will show you any TM matches below in the TM lookup pane.

Hope this helps,
John

Hirundo
Hirundo
Local time: 22:29
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still not what I am looking for Jan 27, 2014

John Di Rico wrote:
When revising, you should use ctl+down arrow (instead of alt+down) and activate "Perform TM lookup automatically."
This will not leverage the segment you move into and replace anything. However, it will show you any TM matches below in the TM lookup pane.

Thank you, but ... Ctrl+Down does not seem to save segments to the TM. Can it also do that?

When I proofread, I want to have changes immediately written to the TM, so that Wordfast can suggest (but again not automatically insert!) them when the segment is repeated later in the text. So, can Wordfast save the current segment to the TM and then look up (but not replace anything!) the next segment when I enter it -- with a single shortcut key?

Edit - Preferences - Translation memory - untick the "Copy source on no match in editor" option

Thank you Natalia, but my problem is not that Wordfast copies the source but that it overwrites an existing translation with a fuzzy TM match.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Oops Jan 27, 2014

Sorry, I have misunderstood the problem.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Confused by Wordfast TM behaviour when proofreading

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »