Ellen-Marian Panissières
France
Local time: 04:17
Member (2004)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 6, 2004

Hello,
I am working with Wordfast for two weeks now (this isn't very long) and I am working for a customer who wants me to keep the source text in the translation. How can I keep the source text? When I clean up, I am only left with the translation?

Direct link Reply with quote

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
just... Nov 6, 2004

send it uncleaned.

Rgds

Toledo

doucine wrote:

Hello,
I am working with Wordfast for two weeks now (this isn't very long) and I am working for a customer who wants me to keep the source text in the translation. How can I keep the source text? When I clean up, I am only left with the translation?

Ellen-Marian Panissières
France
Member (2004)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What if I don't want them to know? Nov 6, 2004

And what if I don't want them to know that I use Wordfast? I suppose they will pay me less...

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
Nov 6, 2004

[Edited at 2004-11-06 14:18]

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
I don't get it Nov 6, 2004

doucine wrote:

And what if I don't want them to know that I use Wordfast? I suppose they will pay me less...

I'm not sure what gives you this idea. Why would they pay you less?

Ellen-Marian Panissières
France
Member (2004)
French to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Number of hits Nov 6, 2004

Steven Sidore wrote:

doucine wrote:

I'm not sure what gives you this idea. Why would they pay you less?

The document is around 8500 words and there are a lot of terms, sometimes even sentences, that are repeated. If they see that I am working with a CAT-tool, they will probably pay me less for my translation. I didn't tell them that I am working with Wordfast, since I am not really familiar with it yet and I am still losing time.

pep
English to Spanish
You can do it with a couple of global changes Nov 6, 2004

doucine wrote:

Hello,

You can do it with a couple of global changes in the uncleaned file. Follow this procedure:

Note: I'm aussuming thar you are using the Trados-like mark tags (they look like {>, Replace

4. Copy the following string in the Search field:

\{0\>(*)\(*)\

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:17
German to English
+ ...
What did the client order? Nov 6, 2004

doucine wrote:
The document is around 8500 words and there are a lot of terms, sometimes even sentences, that are repeated. If they see that I am working with a CAT-tool, they will probably pay me less for my translation. I didn't tell them that I am working with Wordfast, since I am not really familiar with it yet and I am still losing time.

The only point is: What did the client order originally and what terms did you agree on?

If the client ordered a translation and nothing but a translation, then that's what he should get, and you should get paid whatever price you agreed on. (I do hope that you agreed on a price beforehand.)

If the client ordered an uncleaned file, then that's what he should get, and you should get whatever price you agreed on.

If the client changed his mind and now wants something else than what he originally ordered, and you don't mind accommodating him, then go ahead and give him what he wants. But this shouldn't mean that you should get paid less! If anything it should mean that you should get paid more, since the client changed the job specs after the initial order.

What tools you choose to do your work is your business. You're responsible to deliver what was ordered, and the client is responsible to pay the agreed price. Period.

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Change the document to a table Nov 6, 2004

What you can do, is to change the whole document to a table, if it is not very badly/complicated formatted.
What you need is to select the whole text, then go to the menu "Table" and choose "Transfer" (sorry, in German it is called "Umwandeln" and I don't know the right english term for it), then choose "paragraph mark" as delimeter.
After that you will have the whole text in one table. You can either change from portrait to landscape oder make the text smaller (changing the font size), than you can format the table you have so, that it will take only the half page. Then select the whole table, copy it into a new document, translate this as usuall, clean up (then don't forget to remowe WF/Trados/CAT templates) and copy the translated table back to original document, placing it beside the old table.

Regards
Jerzy

Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
A bit off-topic here... Nov 6, 2004

doucine wrote:

So in other words, you are struggling to learn the tool, for which you paid, I presume, and all this for you customer to pay you less? Not sure if it's worth it, really...;)

Also, I never heard of discount for repeated TERMS. Shall we discount for every 'a', 'the' and 'is' as well?

Magda

Annette Scheulen  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Your profile gives it away Nov 7, 2004

Doucine,

Since your profile page clearly shows "Wordfast" and this profile can be read by everybody on the Internet, it is not very difficult for your customer to know or assume that you are using a CAT tool. Therefore I would very much suppose that your customer wants you to deliver an uncleaned file. This is done either because customers want to "recycle" your translation by creating a translation memory or (yes, right) because they want to pay you less—-or, most commonly, both.

I fully second Norbert’s statements. Since I’ve just had a very negative experience with a similar case, I also fully understand why you’re so cautious though. In my case, I was made to buy Trados, a far more expensive CAT tool than Wordfast, but promised expressly that no deductions would be made. As soon as I had spent all that money, however, the customer went back on his word and demanded even far more drastic discounts than could be justified by any of the normal Trados percentages. By now I cannot help the feeling that some customers use CAT tools as an excuse for trying to get translations practically for free. If your customer knows that you use a CAT tool and wants to profit from it (which seems to be the case), make sure that you never ever accept a job without a written purchase order stating clearly what will be paid and how. This is one thing I learned from the payment problems with my last job involving Trados, and I would be very, very cautious before ever accepting another job requiring the use of CAT tools (using them for your own purposes is a different story). If your customer is like mine and you don’t have a written agreement, beware!

Wishing you the best of luck,
Annette

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
The client can do that too Nov 7, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

...translate this as usuall, clean up (then don't forget to remowe WF/Trados/CAT templates) and copy the translated table back to original document, placing it beside the old table.

Regards
Jerzy

The problem is that they have asked for a uncleaned document, also they know that she is working with a CAT program. For that what you say is not necessary a uncleaned doc, the translation and the source are enought.

Rgds

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Keep the source text with the translation

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search