Wordfast straddling Windows 7 and Windows 8?
Thread poster: Antinea2013
Antinea2013  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:00
English to French
Feb 7, 2014

Hello,
I need to both upgrade my old Wordfast version on my desktop (Windows 7) and buy a laptop.
I am hesitating between getting the laptop with Windows 8 or sticking to Windows 7 for compatibility reasons.
If I upgrade Wordfast, will I be able to use the same licence on both a Windows 7 desktop and a Windows 8 laptop?
If this is possible, will I be able to transfer files and TMs back and forth without compatibility problems?

Thank you for any advice.
Anne

Direct link Reply with quote

B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 02:00
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Go for Windows 8 Feb 7, 2014

I have just bought a new desktop PC. I use Windows 7 on my laptop and like it and had heard lots of bad things about people hating Windows 8. However, all new PCs come with it. I tried very hard to see if I could downgrade, but that is not possible. In the end I bought a new PC with Windows 8 and immediately updated it to Windows 8.1 before installing any files or programs.

To my surprise, I find that I really like Windows 8.1 and find it much better than Windows 7. I have been using WordFast Pro on the new PC. No problems at all and it runs much faster. I have even found that DNS works better with Wordfast on the new PC. Same licence and no issues about copying files between the two machines.

There are some things to be aware of: I disabled the Cloud storage that comes as standard with Windows 8 and 8.1. I do not want confidential files on the Cloud and I have a perfectly adequate external HD for backup. The start up screen needs a bit of tweaking to get rid of clutter and bloatware. Once that is done, it is neater and easier to read than the old Windows 7 desktop, but the old desktop is still easily available.

[Edited at 2014-02-07 23:47 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:00
Finnish to French
Multiple installations Feb 8, 2014

Antinea2013 wrote:
If I upgrade Wordfast, will I be able to use the same licence on both a Windows 7 desktop and a Windows 8 laptop?

If you have a valid license, you are entitled to use Wordfast on two computers. See Multiple installations in the license agreement.

Windows 7 vs. Windows 8 shouldn't make any difference from Wordfast's point of view, whether we are talking about Wordfast Classic or Wordfast Pro.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast straddling Windows 7 and Windows 8?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search