Facing Windows XP end of life and transition to new OS... what does WFC work best with... opinions?
Thread poster: Lesley Jackson

Lesley Jackson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:07
Spanish to English
Feb 27, 2014

WF Classic 5.53 user... need new computer because of XP support ending.

Interested in hearing of others' experiences with WFC and the various choices of operating system... thanks!

P.S. The reason I ask is that I had Vista when it first came out and had a lot of trouble with WF that I'd never had before. Too long ago now to remember what trouble, exactly... but, at that time, people said that the OS was the problem. I got rid of that computer, went back to XP... and had no more problems.

[Edited at 2014-02-27 17:24 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-02-27 17:25 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
W7 Feb 27, 2014

Wordfast Classic works okay with Windows 7 - I have it installed on 2 laptops and it works fine. My tech guy says to avoid W8 like the plague (apparently it was designed with mobile devices in mind) and I'm wary of any more recent Microsoft updates.
However, I prefer the XP interface so am arranging a workaround so that I can still use XP on at least one PC after April.

PS: Your version of WFC may need updating, mine is 6.01g...

[Edited at 2014-02-27 17:37 GMT]

[Edited at 2014-02-27 17:38 GMT]

Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:07
German to Lithuanian
XP is not facing end of life :) Feb 27, 2014

XP is facing end of "support", that you don't need anyway.
You have the right to use it as long as you want.
For example, I'm using MS SQL Server 2000 Desktop Engine for my terminology, its support ended in 2008. But it is working fine and I will be using it until real issues arise.
As an OS I'm using Windows 7.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No problem Feb 27, 2014

You can use wfc on any windows version. WFC runs as a Visual Basic project in Word, so only Word will affect it.
I run version v.6.07x, it is better than 5.xx.

[Bearbeitet am 2014-02-27 19:10 GMT]

Lesley Jackson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:07
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I might stay with XP after all... Feb 27, 2014

Egidijus Slepetys wrote:

XP is facing end of "support", that you don't need anyway.
You have the right to use it as long as you want.

I know... "end of life" was sort of tongue in cheek... but it's a widely used phrase (Google "XP end of life").

My pressing need is for a new computer... a different OS is incidental to that, actually, but I thought I might consider it. Mostly I've bought and had great luck with refurbs -- it's getting harder and harder to find one with XP, however! But, if I can find a good deal, I'll probably stay with old-faithful XP.

Thanks!

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:07
French to English
+ ...
Windows 8 is fine too Feb 28, 2014

I've jut got a new computer with Windows 8 and Office 2013 and Wordfast Classic runs absolutely fine. My only minor quibble is that it prompts you to save the document twice when you clean up - one as a safey measure to make sure you save it somewhere other than your unclean file, I can understand, but twice? That's a tiny thing, though and otherwise I'm very impressed with both Windows 8 (apart from the unnecessary tiled apps) and Office 2013. Definitely worth upgrading Wordfast to the latest version too - love the Autosuggest features, which I don't think you'll have in the 5... version and save so much typing!

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:07
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Which Wordfast, which OS Feb 28, 2014

Lesley Jackson wrote:
WF Classic 5.53 user... need new computer because of XP support ending.

Yes, as you have acknowledged, the end of XP support does not mean that you need a new computer. I use mostly XP (only updated to SP2, not SP3) on a laptop and sometimes Windows 98SE on a desktop - its support must have ended a few years ago, and it works as well as it ever did. My approach is often like "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Version of Wordfast: 5.92m, which I use, is probably a bit better than 5.53, though I'm not sure in what ways, and it doesn't have the slightly different licencing method of version 6.
When I "upgrade" from XP it will be to a (not new) laptop that I recently bought, with Windows 7 installed, once I make time to do all the software installation and other adjustments!

Oliver

[Edited at 2014-02-28 17:14 GMT]

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Finnish to French
Office & Windows versions don't really matter to Wordfast Feb 28, 2014

Generally speaking, Wordfast Classic interacts very little with the operating system, so it doesn't really care what version of Windows you are using. Since it's a VBA application, its main interaction is with MS Office. Wordfast Classic is compatible with all versions of Office from 97 to 2013 (speaking about Windows here), including the 64-bit versions (Office 2010 and 2013). You should avoid Office 2010 Starter Edition and Office 2010 "Click-to-Run". Office 2013 "Click-to-Run" (which is what you get with the Home & Student edition) is OK.

Some functions of Wordfast (eg. concordance search) tend to be slower in newer versions of Office (2007 and later). This is usually offset by the fact you are typically using them on newer and faster computers, so you probably won't notice the difference.

Heinrich and Claire are right, you would do yourself a favour by upgrading from 5.53 to 6.03 or 6.07. Only super-fast typists may not find AutoComplete/AutoSuggest useful, most people like the feature.

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:07
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
The only problem is.... Feb 28, 2014

.... that not all new programs will be compatible anymore!

I work with Windows 7 on my desktop and with XP on my laptop.

I received a message from MemoQ that their new applications wouldn't be compatible with XP, because this OS 'ceased to exist' (no updates anymore).

Although MemoQ was the first and the only one, more will follow in the future, I am sure.

No update doesn't mean that the OS is totally useless, as stated in this forum. So what I will do is keep on working with my XP till it is not usefull anymore or my laptop goes to 'computer heaven'.

Whatever comes first, but the moment is inevitible, although it can take years.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Facing Windows XP end of life and transition to new OS... what does WFC work best with... opinions?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search