Are we also TagEditor compatible?
Thread poster: sylvie malich

sylvie malich
Germany
Local time: 14:40
German to English
Nov 10, 2004

(Don't ask me to post this on the Wordfast mailing list. I already did and there was no response. Maybe my question was too stupid?)

Up until now I have been receiving projects slated for Trados with no trouble. Now I've been kicked off a major project after I reminded them that I worked with Wordfast. The instructions were "please copy the attached INI file into the TT folder in your Trados folder hierarchy and add it to the available DTD settings files in TagEditor (using
"Tools > DTD Settings... > Add" - the new entry "Company Name" will
appear once the file has been added). In the following location:
C:\Programme\TRADOS\T65_LSP\TT\"

Is it true that we're not TagEditor compatible? I'd love to get into
this project.

P.S. Sorry if this subject has been discussed in the past,
I searched the archive and
nothing relevant comes up.

TIA
sylvie

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I wouldn't know about any TAG Editor compatibility of Wordfast Nov 10, 2004

Would even not be the only limitation of it IMO...

Sorry, but I cannot imagine how you should handle your project with Wordfast. It does not use any DTD-settings AFIK... Or at least not in the form Trados does.

Regards
Jerzy

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
from the archives Nov 10, 2004

sylvie malich wrote:
I searched the archive and
nothing relevant comes up.

Hi Sylvie,

I'm afraid no, we're not anymore (since about a year).
Search a bit further back and you'll find lots of info and a few workarounds to work with TTX files, but none is guaranteed.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wordfast/messagesearch/36408?query=TTX

I'm not sure if you have an old version of WF it might work but if I remember correctly there was something that changed in TE that started causing problems.

Regards,
Grace.

[Edited at 2004-11-10 15:42]

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Nee, nah? Nov 10, 2004

Unfortunately I was hoping for an, "Of course! It goes like this, bladebla..."

Too bad. Well, the consolation prize is I get to proofread it. sigh.

Thanks,
sylvie

Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2005)
English to Polish
+ ...
When Wordfast was free, it went like this Nov 10, 2004

sylvie malich wrote:

Unfortunately I was hoping for an, "Of course! It goes like this, bladebla..."

Too bad. Well, the consolation prize is I get to proofread it. sigh.

Thanks,
sylvie

1. Open the TTX file in Word (using the Unicode TXT filter)

2. Open a blank word document

3. Start translating in Wordfast in the blank document (by Alt+Down, if I remember well)

4. Wordfast would then fetch the segment from the other document and put the translated text there after closing the segment.

Unfortunately none of my clients accepted Wordfast as a tool for TTX files. I can understand them, because I would not be able to tell if I damaged the document or not, and they would not be able to fix it.

That's why I don't use Wordfast any more, although I admire Yves Champollion for stretching the VBA programming language to its limits with this fine tool.

HTH

Piotr

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It´s quite a big deal, it seems to me Nov 10, 2004

This all for keeping working with this "ugly" tool Word?
At many places one can read, that a lot of us does not want to work with Word anymore beacuse of its limitations or bad habits.
TAG Editor is a tool, which can replace Word very well, so I would really consider to go for it instead of using "half made solutions".

Regards
Jerzy

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 15:40
English to Russian
Do you use Wordfast? Nov 10, 2004

Jerzy Czopik wrote: ... "ugly" tool Word ... ... "half made solutions" ... Regards Jerzy

Dear Jerzy,
Wordfast is in your list of software, but do you actually use it?
Do you really mean that MS Word is an "ugly tool"? Why?

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Oh, sorry, maybe I was not clear enough Nov 10, 2004

Look at other fora - a lot of file types are not translated with Word. Word makes font changes, when working with non-ASCII languages, Word is considered to be "ugly" (it is not my oppinion, as I like Word).
Why do so many people like to work with SDLX or Deja Vu? Because they don´t need to work with Word anymore...

I do not allwasy prefer to work with TAG Editor. If I get Word file, I process it with Word. So do I with Framemaker textes, because they are quite good to handle in Word.
But all (allmost) other file formats are handled with TAG Editor. It works very good. So far on this.

And yes, I have Wordfast in my software list. But I do not actively work with it. It is just for the case, a customer would like to have his files processed with Wordfast, so I would be able to process them. I have an older, registered Wordfast version - this is enough for me. Actually, Wordfast refuses to work with my particular settings, when I want to translate into Polish. As I use German OS, Wordfast does not save polish characters in it´s TM - so far useless for me.

Regards
Jerzy

Aleksandr Okunev
Local time: 15:40
English to Russian
Thanks, I see your points Nov 11, 2004

Jerzy, thank you very much for the feedback, it is very useful to me as a starting freelancer. My initial impression was that you were taking sides, like some not-so-wise fellow translators do when it comes to sharing views of a piece of software.
Yes, the absence of filtering arcenal has always been Wordfast's weak point, but I am still hesitating: I uninstalled DVX recently because I was not able to get used to switching between DV and Word+WF. I am still learning Trados.
Once again, thanks a lot for very valuable and philosophical feedback.
Stay well
Aleksandr

funky3l
English to Polish
+ ...
You CAN use Wordfast for PL<->DE translations Mar 1, 2005

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Actually, Wordfast refuses to work with my particular settings, when I want to translate into Polish. As I use German OS, Wordfast does not save polish characters in it´s TM - so far useless for me.

Dear Jerzy, it seems that your problem has been resolved almost compltetely when Unicode Translation Memories were introduced to wordfast in verson 3.35x - or sooner (raughly abput year 2002).
It's enough to save the TMs as Unicode and everything's ok.

By the way, I used Trados from versions 3 to 6.5, SDLX and Metatexis as well, and I must sya that I like Wordfast best. Still, it is not perfect - there are sometimes problems with more complex formating when translating Powerpoint or Excel files.

Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I know I can use Wordfast especially for German-Polish Mar 1, 2005

And I have a version of Wordfast with unicode support.
Wordfast advises me to save the translation memory as Unicode - but my Word (german) refuses to do so in german Windows XP.
This is the problem - which actually does not matter anymore, as I completly dropped the idea to use Wordfast and took it from the list of my software.

Than you for your input.

Regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are we also TagEditor compatible?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search