Can I work with SDLXLIFF or TTX files in Wordfast?
Thread poster: Mandy K
Mandy K
Local time: 07:45
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 28, 2014

Hello all,

I use Wordfast CLASSIC, and a client asked me if I can work with SDLXLIFF or TTX files in Wordfast so they can introduce the files in their Trados.

I appreciate any professional suggestions or solutions.

thnx for help

Mandy

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:45
Finnish to French
Not with Classic Feb 28, 2014

For most practical purposes, it is not possible to do it with Wordfast Classic. Some people do it anyway, but it's not for the fainthearted and it requires rather complex workflows.

However, you can do it with Wordfast Pro (and therefore Wordfast Anywhere as well, since both use the same file filters), as explained here:

http://www.wordfast.net/wiki/Translation_of_TTX_Files_in_WFP

The workflow for SDLXLIFF should be very similar to that used for TTX.

SDLXLIFF files sometimes come as part of "packages". These are files with the extension SDLPPX. They are basically ZIP files, so you can change the extension to ZIP in Windows Explorer and extract the SDLXLIFF file(s) included in the package. The package may also include TM's in the SDLTM format. You can convert them to the Wordfast format with a utility called WfConverter (just google it if you need it).

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No, you can't Feb 28, 2014

Mandy K wrote:
I use Wordfast CLASSIC, and a client asked me if I can work with SDLXLIFF or TTX files in Wordfast so they can introduce the files in their Trados.

The short answer is "no". I myself translate those files with WFC, but that is because I also have Trados and I'm able to prepare the files in the exact correct manner. And the current version of WFC is quite buggy when it comes to dealing with XML-like files. So the answer is "no".

Your client can export the files to a table in MS Word, using Trados 2009/11/14, and then you can copy/paste the column and translate it and paste it back, but this requires MS Word 2007 or later, and there is a small chance that they will not be able to import it back (this is a problem with Trados, not with Wordfast).

== Added:

Dominique's answer triggered an idea. Both Trados 2009/11/14 and Wordfast Pro has the function of exporting to a table in MS Word and then importing it back again, but Wordfast Pro's method is more reliable (also more primitive and less user-friendly, but certainly more forgiving). So don't ask the client to use that feature, but rather use Wordfast Pro's feature yourself.

So what you can do is download a demo version of Wordfast Pro, ask the client to prepare the TTX or SDLXLIFF file as shown in Dominique's video, and then open it in Wordfast Pro. Then export it from Wordfast Pro into a table in MS Word. Then you can translate that Word file using Wordfast Classic, and then import it back to Wordfast Pro, and then save the file as TTX or SDLXLIFF again. This ought to work with the demo version of Wordfast Pro, with any file size.

See also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG0VI8XxWjo

[Edited at 2014-02-28 17:03 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I work with SDLXLIFF or TTX files in Wordfast?

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search