Word 2011 for Mac - Focus view/Wordfast
Thread poster: Kate Ferguson

Kate Ferguson  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:06
French to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2014

I use the Wordfast translation add-in with Word 2011 on my new Macbook pro. It has worked fine so far but today when I use the add-in and press one of the shortcuts for the add in (alt+down) the screen flicks to focus view. I have tried re-installing Office and also the add-in but the problem keeps recurring. I have looked at the shortcut and it doesn't seem to be assigned to anything other than Wordfast. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Kate

Direct link Reply with quote

Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
Finnish to French
More details? Mar 1, 2014

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "focus view", and what does "flicks to focus view" mean?

What happens if you use the corresponding toolbar icon instead of the keyboard shortcut? If there is no "flicking to focus view" when using the toolbar icon, you could try to assign the keyboard shortcut to something else that doesn't cause "flicking". You can do so via the UI tab (User Interface) of the Setup dialog box.

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you but still not solved Mar 1, 2014

Hi Dominique,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, but unfortunately it hasn't solved the issue.

To clarify, Focus View (or Screen View) in Word 2011 for Mac is a full-page view layout for reading rather than editing a document. When I say that it "flicks" into Focus View, I mean it changes to Focus View for a few seconds before returning to Print Layout View (even if I was working from Draft View it flicks to Focus View, the returns to Print Layout View) with the next Wordfast segment open - meaning it takes much longer to move between segments. Unfortunately this also happens when I use the UI tabs.

Would love to hear any more thoughts if you have any.

Thanks again,

Kate

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved... Mar 1, 2014

It seems that to fully uninstall all the Office settings on a Mac (which I am new to) you have to delete all the files individually - support.microsoft.com/kb/2398768. After doing that and reinstalling Office the issue seems to have disappeared. Now let's hope that I don't again press whatever strange combination of keys I must have pressed to start the problem!

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:06
English to Indonesian
+ ...
AppCleaner Mar 2, 2014

Kate Ferguson wrote: a Mac (which I am new to)

This procedure is highly unusual. In most cases, simply "trashing" the app - as found in your Applications folder - is adequate, and you won't encounter problems. However, even with less obtrusive apps than Office:mac, there may be "left-overs." Usually they don't hurt, in the case of Office:mac they do, apparently. And when they don't hurt, it also doesn't hurt to get rid of them.
Enter the free AppCleaner. If I drag-drop MS Office:mac on the AppCleaner, it shows the files related to that app.

This would have saved you quite a bit of work, but the main reason I use AppCleaner is to find out where files may be hidden. Drag-drop the app on the AppCleaner, look up the "hidden" files, and then don't hit Delete.

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2014-03-02 01:58 GMT]

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 2, 2014

Hi Hans,

Thanks a lot for that tip, I'm sure it will come in useful in the future. I still have a lot to learn!

Kate

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2011 for Mac - Focus view/Wordfast

Advanced search

Translation news related to Wordfast

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search