Too many placeables/tags
Thread poster: Srini Venkataraman
Recently I had received a EN>TA doc for translation. wc=2600 and placeables=630. Practically every third or 4th word had a tag. Alternately after a few words 3 to 4 tags together were there. Placement of the tags in target became an issue as the word sequence is different.
WFPro3.2.2 does not count placeables, so had used WFA just to get the count.
My query is:
Is it proper to ask for extra rate as the flow is highly affected during translation, looking to place the tags?
Are there any work arounds like completing the translation first and then start placing the tags?
Since the tags should be in acsending order whereas the target word sequence is in different order- so tag position does mot match the source- what to do about this?
| | Srini Venkataraman
Local time: 08:54
Tamil to English
| reg: placeables || Mar 8, 2014 |
1. The source doc was txml and the agency does nothing of processing.
2. It is an user manual with lot of diagrams and instructions and descriptions etc.
3. I just start translating any doc, using the default settings. I have never modifed the settings.
4. some of the 372 segments had up to 11 placeables!!.
4. Learning experience from this job was: never accept when the paceables are too high( >25%) in this case. May be 5% limit. It affacts the translation flow too.
Bottomline: The PM was unhappy.
Anyway I will never ask for/give WWA/LWA.
This PM is not going to change the rates. There are others who listen, so no hassles with them.
| | Heinrich Pesch
Local time: 16:54
Finnish to German
If the document was originally Word, you could just save the txml as docx before translation and clean the source with CodeZapper and re-import into WFP.
To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:
You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »